Chapter Ten: Back to Square One.

Abaron’s POV

The Restrictive Current was gaining on us, barely missing the backs of our feet. We ran as fast as we could to get to the exit.

“What’s happening?” I heard the guy with the glasses say. “The wall is catching up to us! The whole place is falling!”

“If you have time to look back, you have time to run!” Yoruichi told him.

“It’s all over if it swallows you up,” I added loudly, as my voice was too small to talk normally. There was a crash coming from above. “Look out!” We pushed ourselves to run faster, trying to get away from the Current that broke free from the wall. That’s when I heard a scream.

“Uryū!” I turned to see the guy with the glasses get caught by the Current by the short white cape on his back. “That stupid idiot; it’s that stupid cape of his!”

“Hold it!” Yoruichi said, stopping Ichigo and I from reaching up. “Don’t take out your Zanpakutōs. The Current entangles the spiritual body. If you use your Zanpakutōs, you will get caught, too.” The tall guy ran over to Uryū and grabbed hold of both his cape and his head. Pulling the cape from his jacket, Uryū was released from the Current.

“T-thank you, Chad,” he said. “W-what are you doing?” Chad had hoisted him up on his shoulder.

“Let’s go.” We started running again.

“Put me down, Chad! I can run on my own!” I heard him gasp.

“What is it?” I called back to him.
“S-something’s coming,” he said shakily. “W-what is that?” I glanced over my shoulder.

“That’s not good!”
“It’s the Cleaner!” Yoruichi shouted. “It comes through here every seven days!”
"That's really not good!"

“Just keep running! The Cleaner is incredibly fast!” I’d have to compare it to one of those bullet trains I’ve heard about. I’m just surprised that we’re running faster than it. I’ve only been through a Senkaimon once before, when I was in the Academy. But I’ve never had to face the Cleaner, which is why it scared me so much. I could see the exit; it was just inches from my reach!

“Come on, hurry!” I shouted. “We’re almost there!”

“It’s no use!” Uryū said. He must be terrified, having to be face-to-face with the Cleaner. I know I’d be. “We can’t outrun it!” The girl stopped running and dropped behind us. She turned toward the Cleaner with her fingers on the flower clips in her hair.

“Hinagiku, Baigon, Lily!” she shouted. The clips began to glow. “Santen Kesshun! I reject!” I ran back to her, grabbing her hand just as some kind of barrier held the Cleaner momentarily at bay. We were propelled forward, with me colliding with Uryū’s head. Forced through the exit, I caught a glimpse of where we were about to land. We shot out from the Senkaimon and crashed into the ground. My left arm twisted awkwardly upon impact. I groaned as my head began to spin.

“Is everyone alright?” I sat up, cradling my arm. If it wasn’t for the barrier the girl put out beneath us, we would have been severely pancaked. Somehow, she looked completely unharmed. “Wow, Ichigo! You landed so artistically! And you, too!” she added, looking down at me. “The way your arm is position underneath your body and—“

“Believe me; there was nothing artistic about my landing,” I told her, stuck painfully in place. “I think I broke my arm again.”

“That was something, else,” said Uryū, groaning as he stood up. “This is more than I anticipated.” He opened his jacket and pulled something white from inside of it. “I never thought I’d have to use my extra cape so soon…” Ichigo pulled me from the ground, careful in avoiding my arm, before glowering at him.