Chapter Eight: Shut Down and Reload.

Start from the beginning

“Do you really believe that?” Confused, I glanced up at him. “There is a way to get to the Soul Society.” I jumped up from out of the covers.

“There’s a way? How? How do I get there? Tell me!” Hat and Clogs grinned.

“Of course I’ll tell you—on one condition.”
“Condition…?”
“Yes. For the next ten days, you will train with me and learn to fight.”

“What? You want me to train?” This guy is unbelievable. “I don’t have the time for that! Rukia could be killed over there at any time! We have to get to the Soul Society and—“

“You just don’t get it, do you?” I stopped short as he raised his cane in the air so that it rested against my forehead, pushing me over so I tripped over on the blanket and fell over. He kneeled in front of me and held the end of the cane above my forehead. “If you go there now, you will die.” He said it in such a malice tone which made it clear that he wasn’t kidding around. His cane suddenly began to glow in an orange light, and the form of a blade appeared briefly in its place. But then it disappeared. At the end of his cane, there was an image of a white skull surrounded by blue and black flames. It was the same design that was on Rukia’s red glove.

“Do you honestly believe you can beat them? You’re the one who fought them. I let you fight them. That’s because I figured you would understand that better than words. With your level of strength, you won’t be of any good in the Soul Society. You are weak. A weak person entering the enemy’s territory: that’s suicide. You want to save Rukia? Don’t make me laugh. Don’t use others as a reason for walking straight into death’s arms.” He stood up and looked beyond me before walking away. “The Soul Society usually has a one-month waiting period before an execution. This holds true in Rukia’s case, too.”

“An execution?” I thought they’d just kill her right away.

“It’s different from the way that humans are executed, though,” he continued. “I have ten days to toughen you up, then seven days to open the gate to the Soul Society, and finally, thirteen days after we arrive in the Soul Society. We’ll have lots of time.”

“Can I actually become stronger in ten days?” It sounds like such an impossible goal.
“Certainly, that is if you truly wish to save Rukia from the bottom of your heart. Your feelings are strong. You have to abandon any doubt you have.” Does he have to be so dramatic about it? He looked at me through the shadows cast over his face by his hat. “Ten days. Can you play a game of Life and Death with me?” I rubbed my head, as it was still sore from when it fell against the hardwood floor. I was determined to save Rukia, no matter what. And nothing was going to stop me.

“Of course.” I felt as though… the rain stopped.

“Well now that that’s over and done with, I have something else to discuss with you.” 

Kisuke’s POV

“Well now that that’s over and done with, I have something else to discuss with you.” He gave me a questionable look. Fair enough; I guess I have asked a lot of him. Besides, who’d honestly be crazy enough as to agree in training with me? I suppose that Abaron might. She and Ichigo are a lot alike. Even if it were without their linked souls, you’d think that they’d be brother and sister.

“What is it?” he asked.

“Do you remember the young lady who was in here before?” His eyes trailed to where she had been standing. “I’ll take that as a ‘yes’. Now, like all soul reapers, she has a zanpakutō, and a rare one, at that.”