Did I Step On Your Moment? (Lang/Stark x reader)

Start from the beginning

~~~

"(Y/N), get down!" Steve yelled, throwing the shield just over your head at an assailant moving in behind you. "Scott, what's your status?"

"Two minutes! I need two minutes!" he replied, but his voice sounded strained and a little scared. "No, three minutes!"

"You've got two! We're outnumbered and we can't hold this much longer," Steve grunted between throws of his shield and swinging punches.

The next two minutes felt like two hours as you fought your way back towards the jet so that you could make your escape as soon as Scott returned. "Come on, where are you?" you whispered to yourself, trying to maintain the fight while keeping your eyes open for him even in his shrunken form. "I could really use a hand, Scott!"

Only seconds later he appeared, but his regulator malfunctioned and he returned to his full size too late and knocked you back onto the door of the jet, your head bouncing hard against the metal. "Shit! (Y/N) are you okay?"

"That's it, I'm calling Hank. I thought you had this whole 'shrink and resize' thing down."

"It got stuck, I'm so sorry," he panted, turning to search the area for Steve. Seeing him run towards the jet, he helped you stand and sat you in a nearby seat, fumbling with your safety straps and doing more harm than help.

"I can do it, Scott," you groaned, slapping his hands away. "I only bumped my head. I'm fine. Make sure Steve has cover to get back here." You rubbed the back of your head, wincing at the sharp pain of a growing lump on your scalp. Pulling your hand away you checked it to see if you were bleeding, but saw none, so you leaned back and relaxed as best as possible until you could get home into your own bed to sleep off the headache that had just begun.

~~~

After returning to the tower, you were able to head to your room for a quick nap while Scott stayed with the team so he wouldn't bother you, still feeling terrible that he was the one who caused your injury. It had been a few hours that you had been gone before Steve thought to ask where you were.

"Do you know where she went? We need to debrief that mission and talk about what went wrong."

"She's napping."

The Captain crossed his arms over his chest and eyed Scott with a slight annoyance, "she's napping? She knows that we meet within an hour of return, so why would she ignore protocol like that?"

Scott snapped his head up and stood to face Steve, his posture looking like he was afraid to be so close to him. "Wait, she didn't tell you? I ran into her when I got to the jet, and she banged her head pretty hard on the floor. She had a headache when we got here so she went to sleep it off."

Steve dropped his arms at his sides and quickly made his way to the elevator with Scott close behind. "We put you through first aid training for a reason, Lang. You can't let someone who hit their head that hard fall asleep right away. She could have a concussion." He tapped his foot anxiously as he waited for the lift to reach your floor, bursting through the doors once they finally opened.

"(Y/N)? (Y/N) are you okay?" he called out through your door. When there was no answer he looked at Scott anxiously and shook his head as if he knew what he would find on the other side. "FRIDAY, could you please-"

The door opened before he finished, but when Scott caught sight of you he pushed past Steve and to your side. He paused for a moment, seeing you hanging your head over the edge of the bed, managing to look embarrassed as you vomited on the floor.

"Hey...I was just...about to call...you," you panted as you tried to catch your breath. "I think...I hit my head...harder than I...thought."

"I'm calling an ambulance," Steve said, now pacing across your room as he dialed.

"And I'm calling your dad." Scott helped you lie back on the pillow, grabbing his phone and waiting anxiously to hear Tony's voice. "Hey, Tony, it's Scott. We need you in (Y/N)'s room right away. She's been injured and-"

The line closed abruptly and Scott knew that he was on his way. "He's coming, honey, just try to relax." He put a hand on your cheek, then reached up to smooth your hair as he looked at you with sad eyes, "I'm so sorry. This is all my fault, I'm sorry, (Y/N)."

"I'm just so tired."

"No, hey, sweetheart, keep your eyes open."

"I can't...I'm sorry."

Scott gave you a small shake of your shoulders to try to keep you awake but wasn't succeeding, growing more worried now that you weren't responding to him anymore. "(Y/N)? Come on, (Y/N), I need you to stay awake." He spun around when Tony entered the room, frantically rushing to the bed and sitting at your side.

"Tony, I can't get her to wake up."

~~~

"Goodnight, peanut. I know, I'll be home in a few days. I just need to stay here a while longer. Okay," Scott paused, nodding his head towards Tony to acknowledge him when he entered your room, "yep, I love you too, honey." He looked down at his phone with a smile that quickly faded, waiting to hear what your dad had to say after talking to your doctor.

"So, how long have you two been together?"

Scott looked up at Tony quizzically, completely not expecting that topic to come up, "Um...a couple of months. We were waiting to tell you, but I promise, we were going to."

"Do you love her?"

It was clear that the topic of conversation was uncomfortable for your boyfriend, shifting in his chair several times with every step that Tony took closer to him. "We haven't had that discussion yet," he answered quietly.

"It doesn't take a discussion to know how you feel." Tony took a few final steps and was now at Scott's side, looking down at him, "and it doesn't take her father standing over you in a threatening manner to know either."

"Yes," he choked out in a struggled whisper.

"Yes it does or yes you do?"

Scott looked at you, lying peacefully in your hospital bed, then back to Tony, back to you and to Tony once more before finally responding. "Yes, I do."

"Okay then," he sighed, dropping his threatening stance and taking a seat on the other side of your bed, "I just talked to her doctor, and she does have a pretty good concussion. She'll be okay if we can keep her quiet and off the job for a couple of months. That's where you come in."

"Woah, woah, woah, hold on," Scott stood, raising his hands to stop him from going any further, "I don't live in the tower and she doesn't live in San Francisco. I can't be there every day to keep her in line. You're her dad, why can't you do it?"

"Because I didn't knock her over and break her brain."

"I don't need a babysitter, dad." You groaned as you woke to the throbbing pain still in your head, but at least the horrible nausea was gone. It didn't work so well when you tried to sit up, immediately dizzy at a spinning room until you closed your eyes again. "And my brain isn't broken."

Tony stood at your side and put his hand on your shoulder firmly, pressing down enough to make his point, but not so much that it was even close to uncomfortable. "If you try to sit up even one more time, young lady, I'll have them tie you to the bed, do you understand?"

"Yes, sir."

Scott was just as quickly at your other side, glancing over the bed at Tony, "how did you get her to do that? She never agrees to anything I say so quickly," he chuckled. "And she even called you 'sir'."

"Not the time, Scott." You tried to push up to sit again, just as Tony released you, but Scott's hand was on both of your shoulders almost instantly and his face was close to yours, wearing his best authoritative expression.

"Didn't you hear what your dad said? Don't think for one second that I won't help them tie you down."

You closed your eyes and sighed, giving in to the idea that between the two men, you had no chance of getting out of their sights over the next two months, giving up your hope of freedom. You were getting a babysitter whether you liked it or not.

"Yes, sir."

Scott turned and smiled at Tony, nodding his head in victory. "Okay, that was pretty cool."