Chapter 18: Plans

Start from the beginning

            The leader stiffened. “You have neglected to check in with the council as was your punishment for breaking the rule of silence.”

            “So after refusing to check in with the council before you expect me to come simply because they summoned me? Are you really this stupid or did working for the council kill all your brain cells?”

            “Maligning the council is also breaking a rule!”

            Alex smirked. “In case you hadn’t noticed I break nearly all the rules. It’s almost like my job. Every time that puppet council comes out with a new rule I go out and break it. Or hadn’t you noticed Henry that you have to come and pick me up within a week of a new rule coming out for breaking said rule?”

            Henry glared. “If you refuse to come in we’ll be forced to bring you in by force.”

            “I wouldn’t suggest that,” Alex replied, examining his fingertips as if he hadn’t a care in the world.

            “And why is that?” Henry challenged.

            “Because we’re here,” Theron growled, a ferocious grin on his face.

            “If Alex doesn’t get you, we will,” Kayne promised.

            “If you try and run, I’ll drag you right back. There’s nowhere you can hide from me and the trees,” Ilana added.

            “I really would leave if I were you,” Bredon suggested in a friendly matter. “They’re all quite serious and you’re outnumbered and outmatched.”

            The vampire quartet seemed shocked to see Bredon there. “What are you doing here?” Henry demanded.

            Bredon smiled. “I live nearby.”

            “But why are you here? With him?”

            “Just watching a movie with my friends.”

            Before the council enforcers could continue, Theron responded to Alex’s jerk of the chin by standing up and moving in front of the vampires. “Alright it’s time you left. You’re interrupting our movie.”

            “We are under orders to…”

            “You have a choice, leave unharmed or leave when I throw your broken bodies out into the street. Your decision.”

            Henry gulped, looked at his three men, and then glared in Alex’s direction. “This isn’t over, Donovan. The council will bring you to justice!”

            “Well then I have nothing to fear. The council has never been acquainted with justice, especially since all the councillors allowed themselves to become puppets of that manipulative, hypocritical bastard you call a leader.”

            The brown-haired leader opened his mouth to retort but the caught sight of the impatient look on Theron’s face and thought better of it. “Come on, we need to report,” He told the other three and soon they left.

            No one in the apartment moved until Theron gave the all-clear sign. “Does that happen a lot?” Tania asked, a little pale as she watched Alex.

            Alex shrugged. “It happens every so often. Whenever that twisted psychopath decides to remind me of his existence. Like I could ever forget,” He spat bitterly.

            Tania put a hand on his arm. “It’ll be alright.”

            The vampire opened his mouth to snap something harsh at her but caught sight of her expression and stopped himself. “I wish it could be,” He whispered.

            He looked so depressed, angry and even a touch scared that Tania couldn’t help herself. She put her arms around his head and held him tightly to her chest. “Nothing is forever. Everything changes eventually.”

            Alex froze and then slowly relaxed as the sound of her voice and heartbeat soothed him. “Thank you.”

            Tania released him and smiled. “It’s no problem. You’ve saved me plenty of times. The least I can do is try and help you in whatever way I can.”

            The vampire smiled. “Thank you again. Now let’s finish that movie.”
            The others relaxed and soon everything was as it had been, except Alex was in a much better mood than he had been.