Chapter 16: The Note

I glance around at the group. Sawyer and Zach are by the ladder, talking about something.  Carter, Tess, Audrey, and Jasmine have made a group on the left wall. Lucas and Alexa are leaning against the back of the tree house more relaxing then talking, but one of them occasionally turns and says a few words. 

"It's ten o'clock," Sawyer  yells out at random.

"We need to meet at sun down near... wherever you buried Levi. That's where we're going to burry Emerald," I say, "but what are we going to until then?"

"Train!" Carter calls out.

"That could work, but first, if we work together to make enough zombie dummies for each of is to have one we can practice knife throwing."

"Yeah!" The guys shout.

I think they like the idea of throwing knifes.

Tess and Audrey look excited but don't say anything, Jasmine and Carter didn't seem to care (if they did they didn't let it show), and Alexa was so excited she called out "come on guys let's do this," before she jumped up and started climbing down the ladder.

"What are we going to do with her?" Lucas says to himself, laughing a little before climbing down.

The rest follow until only me and Kyle were left.

"Ladies first." he says, but when I'm about half way to the ladder, he rushes to it. He beats me to it and climbs down. Once he's at the bottom (I'm halfway down) he screams "I beat you!"

"Kyle, I hope you realize-" Sawyer starts before I cut him off and finish what I think he was saying.

"You said ladies first, then you went down before me. You just implied you're a woman." I smirk.

His face turned red before he mustered the courage to speak. "I'm not, I'm positive I'm a guy."

He's still red when Sawyer says, "Let's just get to work building the dummies" before walking by Kyle whispering "It's okay Kyle, it's okay."

We all laugh except Kyle who just turns even redder, something I didn't think was possible.

We follow Sawyer to the big pile of wood right outside the back door of the building.

"Everyone, just make however many you want, we're probably going to destroy half of them, so we have use the wood for other things and double up on the dummies." I call out before I grab two logs.

It was hard to carry because I had to carry it with mostly just my left arm but I made do. The logs aren't very thick so they can easily be cut through. Everyone but me got to work right then.

Instead I set my wood down, put the knife in my pocket, and went inside to grab what I think people might need more than the think they will-rope.

I know I'll need it to tie my wood together, I'm sure others will do the same.

I look everywhere I could think before I realize where it could be. What if it was in Emerald's stuff?

She was the last person to use it...I think. Hadn't she been the one to use it for...whatever it was.

"Be strong, Avery." I think, as I start the shuffle through Emerald's things.

Some old shirts. Some old pants and shorts. A note. The paper seems worn, probably from constantly being read.

I opened the paper carefully, scared off what I might see. I closed my eyes and thought, "just do it," before opening the paper.

"Dear whomever this may concern, do NOT let Alexa become group/second group leader. I know I am going to die. I can feel it. Alexa has been acting weird lately and I've found the reason. She and Dominick have been working together. For how long I don't know, but I know she will kill all of us if she gets the chance. I know she was the reason for Levi's death and I know she will be mine. Sincerely, Emerald. P.s. Give this to Avery. She will know what to do. Please do NOT show this to Alexa and please do NOT show this to anyone else. I am trusting you (whoever you may be) to keep this secret and ONLY share it with Avery. Show her this note. I don't care who replaces me we just NEED to have anyone besides Alexa."

I can fell tears start to develop in my eyes and I try to blink the tears away, but they keep coming faster.

Emerald knew. She knew she was going to die. She excepted it. All she wanted was to make sure we know about Alexa. To make sure we would be safe. To make sure we wouldn't trust Alexa to take her place. I hope she accepts my choice of Kyle taking her place.

Ugh I need to focus. I can think about this later.

Why did I even start going though her stuff in the first place? Oh yeah...the rope to use for the dummies.

I put the paper in my back pocket with the knife before I continue looking. More shirts, more shorts. Finally, at the bottom was the rope.

It was decently long. Even when it's curled you can still tell it's long. I think it's ten yards long. I pull my knife out of my left back pocket and cut the rope about down the middle.

I take the first fifteen feet and put it with my things at the very bottom and curl up the rest. I throw that part over my left shoulder and put the knife back in my pocket.

AN: HEYYYYY I UPDATED I KEPT MY PROMISE. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! I'm sorry for the wait earlier.