Chapter 6: A Death

"Audrey truth or dare?" Carter asks.

"Truth."

"If Kyle asked you out would you say yes?"

"Hell" Audrey yawns. "No"

Carter looks at me and gestures with her head to Sawyer. "I know. I'm trying." I mouth to her.

"I think I'll pick... I need to pick a guy. I don't think a guy has gone in a while. Zach! Truth or dare?" Audrey asks.

"I'm a daredevil..."he replies.

"So truth...?" I ask.

"No. Dare."

"I was kidding."

"Okay. Anyway Audrey. Dare."

"I dare you to...it's too late for this. I think we should go to bed." She yawns again. Soon we were all yawning.

From the look on Zach's face he was happy to not have to do anything. Most people nod their head in agreement to going to bed. We all walk to our separate pallets and lay down.

I know I wanted to sleep and I know I should but I don't want to risk another nightmare. I decide to sleep in what I wore and I take off my watch. Midnight. Great. I place it on the floor next to my pillow and lay down.

Most people are going to fall asleep soon-I can tell. At least with sleep you can escape the world even if it's a few hours.  I'm about to slip into sleep when I hear footsteps. They started all the way on the guys' side. I close my eyes and pretend to sleep as the person walks past me. Who is it?

After I hear the door close I walk over to the door (quieter then the person) and walk out. I walk a short distance out the door before I see a person. I walk to the left and when I'm standing behind them I say "is something wrong?" We were standing in front of the bench I slept on a few hours earlier.

The person turns around. Levi. "No nothing just couldn't sleep."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"Okay I'm just gonna go back."

"Okay. I'll be out here."

I turn and walk back inside.

Yay no one else is awake. I check the time and lay down. One in the morning.

I was so tired as soon as I laid down I fell asleep.

*******

I awake to voices near me.

"Tess we can't tell Avery yet. She'll be heartbroken. She's probably still sore from her dream about Emerald." Someone- I think Carter- says. Wait did Emerald die?!?

"Yeah I know but she'll find out eventually." Tess says.

"Fine but you have to wake her up." Carter says.

"I'm up." I say siting up. "What is it you don't want to tell me."

"We discovered something this morning after we got dressed. Something we didn't know if we should tell you." Carter says.

"Am I the only one who's up?" I ask.

"Besides us? Yes." Tess says.

"Can't I see it?" I ask.

"Yah I guess but don't say we didn't warn you."

I stand up and follow them out of the building.

"Where is it?"

"Not very far." Carter says.

We walk out towards the spot me and Levi talked last night. Past the bench.

When we get there I see it. It's enough to make me cry. I can't believe it. Levi. On the ground dead. His head looked beaten in but it wasn't the worst I've seen. At least his body is intact.

"What are we going to do about him?" I ask turning away from Levi towards Tess and Carter.

They exchanged a confused and nervous glance. "We thought you'd be more upset." Carter says.

"Well I'm the leader and the leader has got to be tough. So what are we going to do with him?"

"We could burry him?" Tess suggests.

"Yeah I think he'd want that" Carter says.

"Okay we can let the others decide." I say before turning and walking back to the building.

"I don't think she cares about him anymore." I hear Tess say.

"Me neither. She didn't even seem affected at all." Carter says. Were they right? No I care about him. Then why want I crying?

Once inside I check my watch. Seven o'clock. Time to get dressed. Nobody else was awake yet.

I grabbed whatever pair of shorts and tank top that were at the top.

Tess and Carter still aren't back but as long as they don't die I don't care.

I walk out the door to the right and to the farthest bathroom. The closest was to the left and I don't know what I would do if I saw him again.

I walk into the farthest stall, sit down, and pulled my legs to my chest. I try to will myself to cry but nothing happens. Do I care about him at all?

I stand up and put the clothes on. The shirt was black and hung down in the front a little more then normal and the shorts were dark blue denim.

I hope Tess and Carter haven't told anyone yet. I don't want people to be distracted. Wow I must not care about Levi at all if these are my thoughts. But we have a lot of training to do. I put my hair into a high pony tail so it was out of my face and off my neck.

The walk was fast and short but long enough for me to decide to tell everyone.

When I walk in there is almost a complete silence. I walk to the table in the middle of the room and stand on it. "I have an important announcement to make." I yell and people gather a few feet from the table. "In case you haven't heard Levi was killed last night" I pause to let people have a moment to think of that then I continue. "That means either a zombie or a living human attacked him. We need to train as much as possible in the next few days to keep any of us from dying."