Chapter 2: Conversations

"I'm going to change out of this." I gesture to the clothes I slept in. I leave before anyone else can respond. Maybe they did. Maybe I'm just not listening.

I'm still thinking about the dream, if it's a vision, and what would happen if Emerald died. I walk over to my pallet and grab a t-shirt and a pair of jeans.

I almost walked into a pole on the way to the bathroom. I was like a mindless zombie. Except I was human. I wasn't a brain hungry monster. I just wasn't thinking straight. Like a zombie would.

I walked into the bathroom and I hear the door close behind me. The stall in the back is the bigger one so I use it more often.

I hear the door open and a pair of footsteps as I finish getting dressed. From what I hear it sounds like two people. Then I hear them.

"Look, I just don't think we can forget Avery's dream. What if it really is a vision? Avery might be able to see the future." Jasmine says excitedly.

"If you're right then Emerald dies." Tess says.

"I don't want her to die but if Avery can see the future then she can help us. She can...can..." Jasmine seemed to be searching for the right word. "She can tell us if she sees a zombie attack. We might have a chance! We can kill off the zombies and we can live in peace."

"Look I know you want to be right. I know you want her to see the future but of she is then Emerald could die. That means whatever she dreams has the possibility of coming true. What if she sees us all dying a painful death?"

"Then there is a possibility. She's probably had dreams before that have come true and some that haven't. I just don't think we can forget it."

"Fine. Let's just get dressed." Tess says.

That was weird. That was very very weird. Shouldn't they've checked to see if anyone is in here? What if they wanted me to hear? What if Jasmine is right. I don't want Emerald to die. It would be useful to see the future but not if Emerald has to die.

I use my fingers to brush through my hair. I look in the mirror as I do it. Palest skin of all of the group. Red hair. Blue eyes and freckles.

I think of all the what ifs until my hair is brushed and up.

I wait for a few seconds after Tess and Jasmine leave before I walk out. I walk the long way to make sure I don't run into them and so I can think.

When I get back Audrey and Jasmine have already found some sausage to make. You see Audrey and Jasmine are our cooks and our gatherers.

I was the leader.
Emerald is second leader in case something were to happen to me.
Levi and Sawyer are builders.
Carter and Tess are nurses.
Kyle and Zach are spy's and they work under Head Spy Alexa.

Everyone was already dressed and eating. I grabbed a piece and sat down. I was very hungry. It was like the dream stopped all hunger from meeting me. I sat in between Alexa and Carter. Going to the right it's me, Alexa, Emerald, Jasmine, Audrey, Tess, and Carter.

They guys sit on their own side of the room deep in a discussion. Most of the time we sit together but today was different. I knew it would be different the moment I had the dream and heard the conversation in the bathroom. Nobody was talking over here and I couldn't stand it.

As I was about to say something Carter asks "Where did you go Avery?"

In my head I say 'if you were listening to me you'd know' but out loud I say "I went to change in the bathroom."

"But I checked the closer one and you weren't in there."

"I was in the farthest one. Then I took the long way back."

Jasmine and Tess exchange a nervous glance. "Was anyone else in there?" They ask together.

Are they regretting their decision to not check to see if someone was in the bathroom. I put on my most innocent face and say "Not that I know of. I just went in, changed, then walked the long way around. I just wanted some fresh air and I needed to think." I look at then and they calm down. "Why were you asking?" I ask like I genuinely wanted to know.

"We were talking about something....personal and I don't want anyone else to know about it." Jasmine says. That's a lie. You weren't talking about something personal you were talking about me.

"Okay. Why is everyone so quite?" I ask this time genuinely wanting to know.

"I'm just thinking of how to phrase something." Emerald says.

"What is it?"

"What are we going to do if your dream does come true and I'm killed?"

"We're going to be sad but I guess we'll just have to move on. We will miss you but we don't want all of us to die and I think you feel the same way. Is that what you wanted me to say?"

"I just wanted to know if you'd be able to carry on and be okay."

After this I wipe my hand on my jeans and walk over to the guys.

"Hello people" I sit next to Sawyer and Levi. The circle is now me, Levi, Kyle, Zach, and Sawyer.

"Hey" they all say.

"What's up? You were all talking just a minute ago."

"It was about the girls we like and-" Zach starts.

"And you don't want to continue because I'm here. It's fine I'm trustworthy.

"Anyway like I was saying... Levi who do you like" Kyle says and we all look at him.

"Well I think most of you know who I like"

"I don't" Kyle says shaking his head "do you Sawyer, Zach, Avery?"

We all shake our head.

"I'll tell you but I'm not telling them." Levi gets up and walks away. Kyle follows.

"I really want to know." Sawyer says.

"Maybe we an convince Kyle to tell us." I say as they sit down. Kyle had a huge smile on his face. I think he was happy with finding out who Levi likes.

Zach leans over and whispers something in Kyle's ear. "Avery!" He says loudly but not loud enough for the rest of the girls to hear.

"Kyle" I say back at the same volume.

"No that's who he likes. You!"

Everybody but me and Levi start laughing.

"Hey Avery who do you like?" Kyle says still laughing.

"That's none of your concern." I say.

"Please?"

"No" and with that I walk back to the girls.

AN: new chapter. What did you think of it? What about Tess and Jasmine's conversation? I think I'll update every Saturday.