Chapter 14: Tree House

I move towards the opening of the treehouse, bending over and putting my elbows on my knees and my head on my hands.

"Thank you," Tess whispers, glad to get more sleep. I here someone roll over, probably Sawyer.

My watch says it's 3:05. "Hey, are you okay?"

I assume the person was talking to me. "No, not really." I turn to see Jasmine standing behind me.

"Wanna talk about it?" She sits down beside me, putting her arm around my shoulder.

"I just watched her die.. She was killed right before my eyes and I couldn't do anything about it. All I could so was kill the zombie and watch we all to the floor. I didn't even get to say goodbye." The tears start to come and I don't bother stopping them.

"Avy, you're crying," Jasmine says.

"You should go back to sleep, I'll be fine," I reassure when she looks unconvinced.

Jasmine looks at me for a moment, before  turning and walking away.

I check my watch again, 3:22. All was silent for about five minutes until I hear rustling from below.

"Must be a squirrel," I whisper to myself. But then a thought hit me. What if a person was down there?

I look out the right widow and see two people. Alexa and Dominick.

I check the room just to be sure. Audrey, Carter, Tess, Jasmine, Sawyer, Zach, Lucas, Kyle.

That's everyone except Alexa.

I try to listen as carefully as possible.

"...knows?" It was spoken as a question.

"Levi, but he's gone. Emerald, we sent the zombies after her and, according to Avery, she's dead. I don't know if anyone else knows." I think this was Alexa.

"How did Emerald find out?" The person I think is Dominick says.

"When I killed Levi she was there. I saw her right after I did it. I don't think she knew I saw her." It's definitely Alexa.

"Are you okay? You just sent a zombie to kill one of your old best friends. And it succeeded," Dominick asks, concerned.

"Not really," her voice cracks. "I just wanted to seem strong around you."

"Well, you should've continued! I don't want anyone weak on my team! If you can't help then you might as well die." Dominick whispered harshly.

"I-I-I'm sorry, I'll do better. I promise."

"Good, and if you don't, well, you'll see," Dominick says.

Did I hear this correctly? Is Alexa responsible for all these deaths? Of course, how could I be so stupid? Dominick runs the zombies. It only makes sense for them to be behind this.

I check my watch to see how long until I have to switch out. It was 3:50, meaning I've been listening for twenty minutes. I only need to make it ten more minutes and I can wake someone else up.

As I move back I step on a loose board
and it creaks.

"Did you hear that?" Dominick asks.

"Hear what?" Alexa asks back.

"It was like a creaking noise."

"It was probably the wind"

"But there is no wind.."

"Exactly," Alexa laughs until there's a smack noise. Did Dominick just hit her?

"Now you are getting on my last nerve, I could kill you right here and no one would know. I suggest you shut up!"

Another glance at my watch tells me it's 4:03. I move quietly to Zach and shake him. "Get up it's your turn to watch."

"But I don't wanna," he fake wines.

"Just wake someone up in an hour."

I walk to the spot I was laying before and fall asleep as soon as I lay down. 

*****

I wake to shuffling and talking. I don't more, I want to know what these people are saying. Yeah, I know I'm a bad person for eavesdropping.

"I hope she's okay," someone- I think Tess- says.

"Avery just lost one of her best friends. She watched Emerald die right in front if her." I recognize this voice as Carter's.

"Guys, she's asleep you should be a little quieter." Alexa whispers.

"It's okay, I'm up." I sit up.

"What should we so today?" Tess asks.

"We should burry Emerald," Carter answers.

"We can do it next to Levi," Alexa suggests.

I nod, unsure of what to say.  I finally decide on, "we should do it after sundown."

"Are you okay?" Alexa asks. I can't tell if she's actually concerned.

"Yeah, I was just thinking. Where's everyone?"

"They left about ten minutes ago. Audrey and Jasmine went to search for food. The guys went to check for zombies." Alexa answers.

"Even Lucas?" I ask.

"No, he went with Audrey and Jasmine," Tess says.

"Oh, so he's going to be with them from now on?" I ask.

"Probably, besides we could always use another person out there." Alexa says.

"We should wait for the guys to come back, before we go back to base." I say without looking at them. I really don't want to be here.

I'm sure Emerald's body is just laying there. I'm sure she looks just like before. Just as lifeless. Just as- "Avery" my thought were interrupted by a voice.

"You're awake!" Whoever it was hugged me before I could see who it was.

Being the person I was, I loved hugs, I hugged back.

When we pull away I see it was Kyle.

"What was that about?" I ask.

"I just wanted to hug you. You know, because of yesterday." He says, looking down.

"I remember when you didn't like my hugs at all," I say.

Alexa, Carter, and Tess look at me in question so, I respond with "in sixth grade, he didn't want me to hug him, but he grew to love it. Even more proof my hugs are awesome."

"Yeah, that's basically what happened," he replies, still looking down.

AN: that was a long wait. Sorry, at least it's still Saturday. I may not update this story next week. I have exams coming up and I don't know if I can do this and the exams.

If you would vote/comment that would be awesome.

Goodbye

-Madison