Chapter 1

Drake's point of view- (Three days later)

I knew I was ignorant for leaving at sundown. I still don't exactly know why I left my mountain top home. I guess something just compelled me to leave. Maybe it was hope that I would finally find Grayson and Mia again. It's been around a month, and I still haven't seen them. My skin was covered in goosebumps, and my breath came out as a mist. The clouds in the night sky looked like they would soon unleash a storm of freezing snow. I rubbed my arms in attempt to use my hands body heat and friction to keep them warm.

  "It's freezing! Why didn't I get warmer clothes?"

I looked down at my tattered blue clothing. I've been wearing the same clothes for years. It didn't bother me if it seemed gross, because in the badlands, clothing can be the least of your problems. That is, unless the temperature drops. I knew I should have better prepared myself for the winter. Along with my old clothing, I wore leather gloves, and a hooded gray cape.
The trees still bore all different kinds of colored leaves that swayed in the cold wind. Green, orange, yellow, and red. The worn path of gravel that I walked upon had leaves scattered about, but the grass remained a brownish green, and never fully died despite the inadequate weather conditions.
My head was pounding. The strap of my backpack slipped off of my right shoulder. Hastily, I searched for a bottle of water to help ease the migraine. Once my hand found one, I pulled it out so quickly that I nearly dropped it, causing me to have to juggle it. I opened it, and began to gulp it down. The water was cold and refreshing. Slowly the migraine began to vanish but a pinch remained, becoming more of an irritation.
I put the cap back onto the bottle and slipped it back into my backpack. I swung it back over my shoulders and continued forwards. The night made me paranoid. The amount of mercenaries had risen dramatically down here in the southern part of the Badlands over the past month. I knew I had to be careful, because I'm wanted in the land for treason by the empire. Not only that, but monsters prefer to lurk in the darkness of the night.
I've become so paranoid since my departure with Grayson and Mia. I tend to stay away from civilized areas, and keep my distance from people. It's better for me to just scavenge through the rubble and debris of lost villages and cities, and avoid getting caught.
I kept my hand on the hilt of the diamond sword by my side. A pitch black mist past my line of vision in a haste. In a panic, I drew my sword but I quickly established that my eyes were just playing tricks on me, but I knew it wasn't from the paranoia. I put my sword away.

After stumbling back, I muttered to myself "This just keeps getting worse" as I covered my white eye with my palm.

My hand dropped down to my side as an uneasiness began to fill me. Chills ran down my spine, but wasn't because of the cold. There's another life force somewhere around here. I'm not alone. The life force felt familiar, but not enough for me to have known this person face-to-face.

  "Maybe it's just that Nightmare that's been following me." I didn't even know if I believed that myself.

I hate those Nightmares. Every time I saw one, it just reminded my of the day at the volcano. The day I lost my best friend, Armen, that I fought so hard to save from a demon's possession. I destroyed a sacred diamond, one of the three that kept the demon alive somehow.
In the midst of the chaos, Armen's body was destroyed by the force of the demonic Herobrine, and my friend was killed. Herobrine took the form of a Nightmare, and now seems like he has been unable to wreck havoc on the lands now that he has no proper vessel, but he has a partial link to a...particular one.
For some reason, watching my freezing breath rise and dissipate, calmed me down, but only to an extent. I could hear sounds like groaning up ahead. Zombies. While they were part dead, they had a life force, but it weaker than a dying being. It wasn't what I felt earlier. What I still felt was lurking around, just waiting in the darkness.
I looked up and saw them up ahead on the path of gravel, dirt, and leaves. I could see though my naturally blurry vision that there were about five zombies. One had leather armor, and one with golden armor that held an iron sword.