Chapter 10

Grayson's point of view-

I woke to the freezing cold. The ground was covered in a blanket of white, and the gray in the sky blocked out the warmth of the golden sun. I shook in the covers of my sleeping bag, with snow covering my face and stuck in my hair. Every muscle in my body ached from the intense shivering. As I laid there, I watched my foggy breath rise. I sat up, shaking the snow off of my head. It was so cold that my eyes were tearing up, freezing on my cheeks as they rolled down. I wiped my eyes, looking around at the sleeping forms of my friends. Mia had her entire body tucked in her sleeping bag, leaving no part of her body visible.
Drake on the other hand, had most of his body tucked in, with half of his nose, and everything above remained uncovered. I could see the distinct dark circles around his eyes. His skin was so pale, the human side of him looked like a whitish blue. His nose was runny, and he shook violently, chattering his teeth and letting out raspy breaths. He looked worse than any other time I had ever seen him. He looked ghastly in his current state, making me more anxious and uneasy. I had to debate with myself rather to wake him now or to wait. I didn't want him to stay out here any longer, but I wanted him to get as much rest as he could.

  "It's too cold to stay out here. For all we know, the mercenaries are around here searching for survivors of last night's attack." I said to myself. It was a force of habit that a lot of people in the badlands picked up.

I got out of my sleeping bag, rolling it up, and putting it away. I walked over to Mia, nudging her with my right foot.
  "Mia! Wake up, we have to go!" I said.

She grunted, uncovering her face, and looking up at me with tired eyes. "Five more minutes." She pulled it back over herself. I growled in frustration.

I rolled my eyes. "Mia, this is serious! The mercenaries are probably out there looking for us, and Drake's condition is getting worse!"

Mia got out and sat up, looking at Drake. She sighed. "He does look worse. Fine. Let's get going. I just hope that he doesn't start throwing up blood like he did the other day." I didn't like remembering that. The experience did frighten me.

She hugged her body, and looked around at the snow that covered the ground. "Yeah. We should definitely get out of this snow."

I laughed, telling her "I told you so. Now, we have to find a village, or even a cave will be better than this. We just need to get out of the cold."

I heard the sound of yawning come from the Enderman hybrid behind me. I turned around, seeing him rub his eyes, then stretch his arms and legs. He sniffed, and rubbed the mucus from his upper lip. I could tell that he wasn't feeling well.

  "M-morning. What a-are you guys t-talking about." He stuttered with his words, still shaking uncontrollably.

  "You're awake!" Mia said. "Good, now we can get out of here!"

Drake didn't look up at us. He held his knees to his chest, and held them close to keep warm. I noticed his eye staring to twitch, something I knew wasn't normal.

  "Drake? Are you feeling any better?" I knew that he wasn't going to say yes, but I just had to ask.

He shook his head. "Honestly, I feel so much worse."

I frowned. I went back and grabbed my backpack, putting a strap over my shoulder. I turned back around to face them.

  "Ready?" I asked.

I heard Mia reply, but I didn't really hear her. My focus laid completely on Drake. He got out of his sleeping bag, and put it away, then he just sat on the snow covered ground, looking blankly at the white flakes that fell slowly from the sky. I looked back at Mia, as she moved and put her things away.