Harsh Conditions

Things... Don't get better.

It feels like things change all at once or not at all, and I'm not sure which option I dislike more.

Day after day, I am held hostage in the science labs. Frank isn't allowed to sit with me, not after he's answered every possible question that can be answered.

The tests are endless. When I finally think we're coming to the end of the testing, the scientists start over from the beginning. Something about the results being consistent and irrefutable.

I am pricked and prodded and made to do physical exercise. They ask me to stand or lay or hold still in a dozen different machines. Some of it hurts. Most of it is just boring.

Of course, my group are allowed to exist outside of the labs, and that's half the problem.

I barely see them, and when I do, things feel awkward.

I can barely explain what is happening to me - the scientists don't bother with updates.

And my group are reluctant to tell me about the community, and their slow integration into it, because they don't want to brag or flaunt their freedoms.

If I am allowed out into the community, on the rare days I am afforded a few hours away from Archie and Grace, I have an unusual affect on the community.

People gather to talk to me.

Work comes to a standstill.

Major Tully makes a parade of my presence, and this makes everything worse. People are scornful or they are reverent. Jealous and disbelieving of my reputation, or awed and doe-eyed over it. I'm not sure which I dread more, but my stomach knots no matter who I speak to.

But the guys are welcomed with open arms.

Only a few days into staying, and work is found for my group. The whole community contributes in some way, and no one is left idle. If you live here (even temporarily), you help keep the place running.

There are some people who know the guys as the band they were, but no one makes a big deal of it. There's no awkwardness for them, especially since they pitch in immediately and pull their weight.

Gerard helps to teach in the tiny school.

Natalie and Ray find work in the outer fields, helping to bring in the produce and fresh food.

Alissa is utilised in the laundrette, Frank in the local pub, Mikey in the communal kitchens.

But I'm not free to pitch-in, because my days are taken up by the labs. Perhaps if I were able to speak to people on a normal level, work alongside them, things would change. But I am kept separate, and so treated as a separate entity.

"What's eating you?" It's Kyle, digging an elbow into my ribs.

He's been a reliable companion - Tully goes out of his way to appease me, so he's allowed Kyle to stay by my side as much as the scientists can stomach. Which isn't much, considering he doesn't shut up.

"I'm good." I try to shrug the misery off my face.

I've been in the labs all day and my body aches. I'm bruised and drained and my temper is frayed.

"You're missing about three pints of blood, if my calculations were correct."

"They weren't." I roll my eyes.

"Let's get you outside." He coaxes gently, "Direct sunlight will do that pale skin a world of good."

"No." I say, too roughly. "I'm fine. I think I'll go back to the room and sleep."