Chapter 1

Song: Christmas Time Is In The Air Again by Mariah Carey

-------------------------------------------------  

Christmas Eve

Everyone was scattered around our big living room. The elders lounged on the couch, the younger generation was nestled together on the floor near the fireplace. This was the only time of the year our big family got together to celebrate the birth of Christ, thus this holiday was very important to us.

I have loved the Christmas season since the day I could remember. There was something magical about it, something soul-warming, something I couldn't quite describe even at the age of 25.

I was leaning against the window pane with one of my aunties by my side who was ranting on about how her eldest son of 15 acted rebelliously.

"Aunty, he is a teenager. The more you try to punish him for it, the worse it's going to get," I explained to her.

I never underwent that rebellious phase and my parents praised themselves lucky for that, but I knew enough about the topic.

"Maybe you are right Noëlle," she sighed.

I rubbed her shoulder to comfort her, but she drew me into her arms instead and gave me a tight hug.

"I'm so proud of my sister to have raised such a beautiful and wise lady," she said with pride in her eyes.

"Oh, stop it!" I said and swatted her shoulder with a light blush coloring my cheeks.

"Gia, can you help me with dessert?" my mother yelled from the kitchen.

"Oh, sure hun!" my aunt replied.

She pecked my cheek and disappeared into the kitchen.

I was now left alone with my thoughts. I gasped at the sudden feeling of something vibrating inside my Christmas sweater pouch and realized that it was my smartphone. I pulled it out and glanced at the bright screen.

"Hi babe, how..." was all that the preview message showed so I unlocked my phone swiftly to read the rest of the text message.

"Hi babe, how are you? I hope you are having a nice Christmas Eve with your family."

"I'm fine. How are you? Yes, it's lovely," I replied with a heavy heart.

I didn't want this to upset me further and ruin my Christmas Eve mood, so I pushed those negative thoughts to the back of my mind.

"I'm okay. I wished you were here," he sent back.

And I wished you were here with me, I thought and let out a deep sigh.

-------------------------------------------------

What do you think of the first chapter? :) I hope you will enjoy it ♥