Chapter 2

Song: All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey

-------------------------------------------------

"Honey?" my father called.

"Yes, dad?" I smiled and quickly slid my phone back inside my pouch.

"Your mother made your favorite dessert," he said with his fatherly warm smile which I loved so very much.

"Oh dad," I sighed and embraced him, taking him by surprise.

"What is it honey?" he asked as he returned the embrace.

"I missed you, that's all."

"And we missed you too," he said and placed a kiss on my forehead.

...

After devouring 5 pieces of cappuccino cake, I felt like I was carrying a child inside me.

"You outdid yourself this time mom!" I groaned, rubbing my tummy.

Our whole family started laughing because they knew my love for anything related to cappuccino. I felt the heat rise to my cheeks and the alcohol a little to my head since I'd had 3 glasses of dessert wine already.

My phone buzzed, making me almost jump up from my chair. I excused myself from the table and went upstairs to my old room, which remained the same way I had left it almost 5 years ago. My mother couldn't bring it over her heart to change anything in this room.

My phone buzzed inside my back pocket again, disrupting my trip down memory lane.

"Noëlle, are you there?"

"I'm sorry..."

Those were the two messages, sent only 2 minutes apart.

I placed my finger on the keyboard, not knowing how to respond to that.

"It's okay," I finally typed and hit the send button.

"I didn't mean this to happen," he replied almost immediately.

"What happened, happened. Happy Holidays! I hope you enjoy it with your family," I responded.

I didn't realize I was crying, not until I heard my name being called from down the corridor.

"Shit," I cursed under my breath and quickly wiped my eyes with the back of my hand.

The door opened and my mother appeared in the doorway.

"Are you alright honey?"

"Yes, mom," I lied.

She walked into the room, taking a better look at my face.

"Did you cry?"

"I...mom..."

"You shouldn't be crying on Christmas Eve, you should be happy my little girl," she said whilst she held me in her arms.

"I miss him," I whispered.

"I'm sorry," she said softly and stroked my hair to comfort me.

"He promised me, but he broke it and it hurts..."

"Honey, don't you worry. There is always the next Christmas," she smiled.

-------------------------------------------------

All she wants for Christmas is him😢