Mini Boss 5 - Endeavor

Start from the beginning

            Link extended his hand out to help her up out of habit from his spars with the Headmaster. Zelda shouted, "What are you doing? She's trying to kill you, remember?"

            "Right..." Link muttered, pulling his hand back, and returning to his ready stance. Endeavor climbed back up to her feet. She glared at Link, before launching herself back into the fight.

            The fight was nothing like any that Link had had with Kaepora, but he figured it was best to just act like it was. It kept him a little more focused and centered. For the most part, they were fairly even. Neither of them got a hit on the other one for a long while, but Endeavor clearly had the upper hand in this battle.

            Link took a step back. He was trembling, and he didn't think he had ever been sorer in his life. Endeavor was worn too, but to Link, she looked like she had when they had just started this duel.

            "This...is going...nowhere...," Link managed.

            "It...is going...somewhere...one of us...is going to...win...and one of us...will..." Endeavor grinned. Link felt another chill. This was not Endeavor, he was certain now.

            They clashed again and again. Sweat began to bounce off both of them when their blades hit. It was a straining fight, and Link wasn't sure how much longer this fight was going to last. Mainly on his part. He didn't dare take a knee. It would be the end of him.

            Endeavor grinned at him, but didn't say anything. She didn't have the breath for it either. Some how though, she had the energy to charge him. Link let her blade glide along his, before stepping out of the way. Endeavor fell over, her sword clattering across the floor and out of her reach.

            Link thought he heard Zelda shouting something at him, but he couldn't hear her. His heart was pounding, his chest struggling to find air, and his head was just starting to really spin. He looked at Endeavor and raised his sword, knowing how easy it would be from here to end the fight. But he dropped his sword and shook his head. He extended his hand out to Endeavor. Endeavor grimaced and gripped his forearm. Link took a step back to pull her up.

            As they stood face to face, Link saw that the golden haze in Endeavor's eyes was fading. Endeavor said, "You know...if I...was...one of the Demon...Lord's men...you would be dead..." Link nodded. Endeavor patted him on the shoulder. "And that...is what...makes you...a hero..."

            "Link!"

            Zelda wrapped her arms around his neck, knocking him completely over. He landed with a grunt. Zelda blushed and took a step back, before turning her eyes on Endeavor. "What were you thinking?!"

            Endeavor rubbed her eyes, before looking at Zelda. "I was not...the Goddess of Time was..." She pointed to the middle of the platform. A ray of light came down from the ceiling, and a small pillar came up from the empty portion of the Triforce. An orb of light appeared in the center. Endeavor said, "It seems...She has chosen...to bless us...with a gift."

            Link hulled himself to his feet and walked up to the pillar. The light splintered, and left a small blue object floating above it. Link lifted it up off the pillar and looked at the light blue item. Zelda gasped. "No! It...it couldn't be...It's been lost for ages."

            Endeavor nodded. "Indeed...it is..."

"You got the Ocarina of Time. This divine instrument is made from Timeshift Stone, and is blessed by all the Goddesses. Its powerful magic is only equaled by the Goddesses Themselves. By playing certain divine melodies, you can travel through time, summon the power of the elements, and even the Goddesses Themselves."

            Link held the instrument in his hands, worried that he would drop it in his worn and shaky state. Zelda said, "Oh! I know one of those songs! One of the divine melodies, that is. Impa taught it to me when we were planning to leave, just in case. The sound of it is just restoring."

            She pulled out her harp and began to pluck the strings in a simple tune. It was a calming tune, and Link figured out the notes on the ocarina fairly quickly. After a few moments of practice, he managed to repeat the tune himself.

            "You learned the Song of Healing. Its calming tune can restore your spirits and renew you before a battle. This energy pools from the Goddess of Time Herself, and can have a lasting effect on some people."

            Warmth washed over Link and he felt renewed, his energy restored. He felt his side so see if he was really healed, but he felt a sharp pain upon touching the area that he was sure was bruised by now. Zelda said, "It restores energy, not health. It's not that powerful, since it's only part of the song. If we ever find the other part, maybe you'll be able to heal yourself."

            Endeavor stretched. "It will do for now. But this gift from the Goddess will be the key onward into the dungeon, I am sure."

            "Sure, but where do we start?" Zelda asked. "I don't think the Song of Healing is going to open very many doors."

            Link thought of that odd symbol he had seen earlier. He said, "Why don't we back track a bit and see if we find anything?"

            He and Endeavor retrieved their weapons before Link lead them back towards the western side of the temple...