Chapter twenty one

Outside I could see Jack throwing the hay flakes like a mad man into the hay bins. Part of me wanted to run up to him and talk. I knew there where words that needed to be said between us but then the words he told me would ring in my ears. And all feelings of wanting to talk to him flew out of the window.

Shaking my head I looked back towards to the arena. Matt was riding Duke around. I decided it was a good idea to see the pair work. I thought that there was a good chance that Duke might be nervouse or scared of Matt but that was the lest of things. Everything Duke was asked for he did with out hesitation.

"Trot some more" I barked as I started to move some of the ground poles into the arena.

"Here let me help" Jack came out of no where grabbing the other half of the poles and helping me set them up. Instructing Matt to advoid the poles for a sec I started to adjust them. I could feel Jack's eyes on my back making my skin ich knowing he wanted to say something to me.

"May I really need to tell you the truth..."

"Not now Jack. I'm busy with Duke and Matt" I turned around to face jack who looked mad all of a sudden.

"If not now then when " Jack gritted out. Placing my hands on my hips I sent him a stern look.

"When I'm not doing something"
◇◆◇

◇◆◇◆◇

◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

Jack stormed off from me like a small child who was told no. Again I felt like chasing after him but his words banged into my ears for the second time today making me lose my sympathy once again. Turning my attention back onto my client I spotted Duke and Matt doing circles on the far side of the arena.

"Ok off" I demanded as I walked up to the pair.

"What?" Matt had dismounted but again he seemed confused. Shaking my head I grabbed the rains and mounted.

"This is what you're paying me for right?" Smirking I sent Duke off into a collected canter.

I had set up three sets of four ground poles. Two sets where spaced out for trotting while the last set was set up for cantering through. Breaking back down into a posting trot I aimed towards the poles.

Which Duke had happily crossed several times with out any difference in mood or disposition. Even as I took him over the poles at a canter his hooves never clicked the wood. Square one was not where the problem arised.

Dismounting I handed Duke back over to Matt.

"Just untack him. I'll be in, in a minute" Matt nodded and excited the arena with his horse trailing like a dog behind him.

Glancing at the poles around me I decided I'd have to start cleaning up if I wanted to work Red Dawn this evening. Sighing I started to clean up the arena.
◇◆◇

◇◆◇◆◇

◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

Pulling Red Dawn behind me I spotted Duke still tied to the cross ties. Matt was leaning up against the stable doors looking like he was glaring at Duke. Frowning I stepped into the barn, and with Red Dawn's shoed feet Matt glanced over to us. A smile crossed Matt's face and for the first time I think the smile actually reached his eyes.

"Going for a ride?" Matt asked as I hooked Red Dawn up into the cross ties.

"Well tomorrow I have a rodeo" Spinning around I looked at Matt who had pushed off of the wall. Coming up next to me he patted Red Dawn's rump.

"You don't have to come over tomorrow. I'll be gone pretty much all day" ignoring my thumping heart and Matt's gently stare I glanced at him through the corner of my eyes.

"Where's the rodeo?" Matt had shifted behind me as he reached for another brush. Combing through Red Dawn's main I glanced over at Matt on the other side.

"You want to come?" raising an eyebrow as I watched Matt shrug.

"Well everyone needs support and I'm pretty sure that jerk outside isn't going to be much help. I mean if you want me to come that is" Matt circled around around Red Dawn. Chuckling I looked back at Matt.

"Be here at six in the morning. Jackson Hole is a few hours away"