Dance the Night Away

Start from the beginning

“Same thing you see in her, Shadow. She is strong, yet attractive and everything in between,” Sonic replied. I blushed from behind the stairs.

“Yes, I would say the very same thing. If I had a choice to protect her or the Master Emerald, I would definitely pick her,” I blushed a deeper red at Knuckles’ comment.

“Well, I guess I understand now. She has taught me how to be more patient. That’s why I haven’t killed you two yet,” Shadow responded coldly.

Tails finally said something, “That’s nice, Shadow. But I don’t get why she keeps running away. Does she not like us?”

“No, no, she likes us. She’s actually very grateful for all of you. I see it in her mind. She has a tendency to run away from things she doesn’t like,” I heard silence after Shadow’s answer.

“It’s not my fault!!” Sonic suddenly outburst. Shadow must have glared at Sonic after his answer. It was true though, I do run away from thing I don’t like; Sonic’s attitude and work. I decided to come down the stairs now, before Sonic attacked Shadow.

Shadow must have heard my footsteps, “And speaking of my angel, here she comes now,” Shadow got up and turned around. his face had turned into an expression of total shock and surprise the minute he laid his eyes on me. Sonic and Knuckles had the same kind of expression on their faces as well. Tails didn’t look very interested in me. Shadow walked over to me and took my hand.

“Miss Dabria, you look beautiful tonight,” Shadow said in a romantic tone. I blushed as he kissed my hand. Knuckles and Sonic looked angry at Shadow, but he didn’t seem to notice. Shadow took my hand and we raced out the door to an unknown place (unknown to me because I haven’t a clue of where we were going).

Finally, we reached a clearing after running through the forest. I know this place…wait! This is the overlooking cliff Shadow took me to on our first date! It was all coming back to me now. Shadow looked back at me as I stopped. He relaxed when he saw me smile. He took out his Ipod and speakers out of his jeans’ pocket; he always looked wonderful in jeans. He turned it on and put it on the grass. Shadow had turned on a slow song. Usually I hate slow songs ('cause they're slow, DUH!), but Shadow was here now and I wanted to make him happy. He walked over to me and I got a little nervous.

"Don't be nervous, Dabria," he told me. I flinched when he put his arms around my waist. I put my arms around his neck, not knowing what else to do. I was the worst slow-dancer ever in my eyes. I had never slow-danced with anyone before.

"Just relax, Dabria, and let me lead," Shadow tried to calm my nerves. I followed his instructions and let him lead. I felt like a two-year old when he was trying to do this. I kept randomly stumbling and messing up. Eventually, Shadow gave up trying to teach me and just held me close as we swayed back and forth. I enjoyed feeling his warmth against my skin. Suddenly, I thought about my dog back on Earth. He just loved being scratched behind his ear. I looked up at Shadow and wondered if he liked that too. I waited until he didn't suspect anything and I reached my arm behind his head and started scratching the back of his ear. His smile grew wider, so I continued. I noticed that his little tail started wagging too (Aww!!).I continued until he started giggling.

"You like that, don't you?" I said in a Shadow-like tone.

"Let's see how you like it," Shadow returned and pulled my arm back around his neck. His arm slowly rose up to my head and he started to scratch the back of my ear. I shook my head trying to make him stop but he refused. Soon, I was giggling like a little girl.

“Hehe, you’re so cute,” the slow song stopped not soon after he said this. He let go of me and bent down to change the song. He fiddled with his Ipod for a little bit. He turned his head towards me and said, “Show me what you got,” I then heard the lyrics to The Cupid Shuffle. I absolutely loved this song and knew the dance by heart. Ok, remember how it goes, I thought about it a little in my head and I got it. Shadow just stood back; amazed at my dancing.

When the song ended, Shadow nervously came up to me (Shadow? Nervous? I know right!) and asked, “Could you show me how to do that? I’m amazed at what you can do,” Of course I agreed and I taught him how to do the dance.

“Ok, Shadow, first relax! There is no reason to be nervous. Now you go eight steps to the right and eight steps to the left. Now you kick four times and then add your own flair when turning to the left. Then you repeat it throughout the song,” I explained. We practiced several times and Shadow picked it up fast, the dance moves I mean. Soon, he wanted to dance it for real. Shadow did great and he spun me around at the “walking by-myself” part. When the song finished, Shadow sat on the grass and motioned me to do the same thing.

“Shadow, tonight was beautiful and you’re a great dancer,” I told him as he put his strong arms around me.

“Dabria, can I ask you something important?” Shadow asked me.

“Of course, Shadow.”

“Will you be my girlfriend?”

I was shocked, “I thought you would never ask!” I then gave him a big hug and he did the same. It was getting late, or should I say early, because I saw the sun peek out from the darkness.

“Another all-night date, huh?” I asked jokingly.

“Yep, is that a problem?” Shadow asked back jokingly.

I snickered. Shadow picked me up and we glided through the forest, going back to Sonic’s house. Once we arrived, he took me into my room and he fell asleep instantly with his arms around me. I couldn’t sleep, so I tried to read Shadow’s dream. It took me a while, but I was able to make out a clear picture of him when he was younger in school. Shadow went to school? I didn’t know that. In his dream, he was being picked on by the older kids, it seemed. I also noticed that he wasn’t wearing his rings in this dream. Poor Shadow was being pushed and shoved around like a soccer ball. Why didn’t he fight back, I wonder? Wait, he was saying something about being nice for Maria. Well that made sense, but he should’ve been fighting back. One of the older kids came into the scene again and punched Shadow in his jaw. He started to cry.

“Hehe, what you gonna do now? Go cry to your mother, Maria?” The other boys laughed with the leader. Shadow got up and looked angry.

“Chaos, BLAST!” the little black and red hedgehog yelled and all of his energy was used into that one shot. When the dust cleared, I saw many children knocked out and the teachers came running along with the police. They took little Shadow to a prison cell and forced the rings onto his wrists and ankles. He struggled to break free, and he did. The policemen left the cell and left him there. He sat there and started to cry. A bright light shone and I could not read his dream anymore.

So that’s how he got those rings, huh? I looked down at my wrists. I was lucky to only get rings on my wrists. I released my energy the same way Shadow did, only I summoned the element of water when I was angry. My elder sister gave me these to wear on my wrists so I wouldn’t get into trouble anymore. She moved away long ago, now I barely remember her.

I felt Shadow stir underneath me, “Good morning, my little Shadow,” I said calmly. He glared at me.

“You read my dream didn’t you?” Shadow said coldly.

I didn’t feel like fighting with him, so I nodded. Shadow sighed.

“So now you understand, I guess,” He looked away from me.

“I had my rings put on me the same way, only for my own good, not force. I used to summon the element of water whenever I was angry and my sister told me to keep these on for fear I would get into more trouble,” I tried to make him feel better. He still didn’t look at me. “Hey, I think you looked cute when you were younger,” I smiled and he glared at me again.

“You tell no one about that or I will Chaos Blast you into next week,” He said in that same cold tone with a smirk at the end. I shoved him playfully.

(Yes I know I made up Shadow's past, I know it's my story right?)