Chapter 2 - A Voice In The Dark

Everybody thank you so much for your kind words! My story lives on them! Please like and comment! From now on, I will update once a week, on a Friday. Depends on how many comments I get (hint hint!).

The fire crackles softly, licking the wood as it casts a warm pool of gold over the soil. Endor. The Outer Rim. Where the Rebellion crushed the Empire. Where it was supposed to end.

But Fayne begins to see something. A truth that has eluded her since youth. Only now at the bottom of the pit, swimming in the ruins of her once beautiful life, does Fayne understand.

As long as she is standing, as long as anyone is standing - they must fight. It is the first and last law of life. Darkness is not a person to be executed, nor an object to be crushed. It exusts beyond that realm, inside the mind. And since she ran from Kylo Ren, 3 long years ago, the pull has grown stronger every day.

That voice. As she sits on a fallen branch, watching Elle sleep, she is the only open mind for miles. She feels exposed, naked in the dark. As if a hundred hungry faces skim her body.

The thirst is like a gaping hole in her head. Everything seems too close! The fire, the tall trees, the night sky. And then darkness takes her . . .

"I have waited so long for you Fayne Dae. Or should I say . . . Fayne Konrad."

No no no! Not this again! Please not this again! Even in the blissful haven of sleep, her head has not forgotten. The last visit left her traumatised for days on end. Kylo Ren nearly found her, such was the state that she could barely move. The panic. The burning hunger, eating ravenously at her soul.

And the voice with no face, shrouded in shadow.

"I have no business with you," she snarls, clenching her fists. "Get out of my head." Her head, her rules. It's not a playground.

Then comes the laughter. Echoing from invisible walls, resonating like the screech of a thousand bats, like a knife slowly grating along a plate. It's mocking her. Look at the little human. Frail, pathetic. Let's play.

"Your real name is Fayne Konrad, after your deceased mother Nadie Konrad, after her deceased father, Jedi Knight Shryne."

Fayne stops as if some unseen hand has her throat in a deadlock. In a dream, the world is spinning. Look at what the First Order have done. Cut down men, women and children like wheat chaff. By their hundreds, then by their thousands, then by their millions. And if the secret is out, then it means that the First Order will turn their gaze, the gaze of an army 200 million strong, to little, lonely Fayne. The last female Jedi. The last hope. And her husband will be at the helm. She's feeling sick.

"O-only a coward hides in darkness," Fayne breathes. Her voice quivers slightly, but her heart stands resolute. There is a way out. And if she cannot see one, then will she have to make one.

"My appearance is your least concern child!" the voice taunts. It seems to be shifting now. Gliding like a serpent, moving closer . . . "I know you are afraid Fayne Konrad. How would it be . . . to never afraid again? The galaxy at your feet! Released from your weakness! No fear for your husband, for your parents . . . or for your dear Elle sleeping by the fire . . ."

He sees! The voice sees! He knows where they are, he knows what she's doing . . .

"I'm not afraid." The words are half cried, half whispered.

"Deceit does not become you Fayne Konrad. Your mother was weak, pitiable. She died like a rat in the mouth of a beast. The power of Jedi Knight Shryne abandoned her. But it has not abandoned you. You are more powerful than you dare to dream . . . You have one rotation. Make your choice. Join the First Order or die."

"No!"

"Yes. And to make it sink it, so that you fully comprehend the odds against you, I shall ensure that your husband's saber is the last thing you see . . ."

She jolts awake with a cry that would rouse the dead. The fire, the soil, the trees. The silence. None of it seems real. But one thing is. She realises with a cold heart, that it is 24 hours to the turn of the tide. Twenty four hours to the point of no return.