Chapter 1 - Memories

I WILL ANSWER ALL REVIEWS! PLEASE CONTINUE WITH THEM! I ALWAYS LOVE ENCOURAGEMENT!

"Fayne! You must head on!" Elle shrieks. "Run and don't come back!"

The spindly woman attempts to push her friend on ahead. Into the foliage. They are so close. But Fayne Dae has heard this before. Too many bodies. Too many nights in a cold sweat, cursing her selfish existence for letting so many people die. Life is precious. Once lost, it is gone forever. So she grabs Elle and hauls her forward.

"You stick with me!" Fayne pleads. "Don't go getting all heroic! I need you!"

With shocking strength, the injured woman drags Fayne to a halt.

"Fayne, don't be a fool! Do you know what Kylo Ren will do if he finds you again!"

"Dammit!" Fayne hauls her best friend over her back like a sack of potatoes. A Jedi does not doubt. A Jedi does not wonder. The Force will handle the heavy lifting. If she is just willing to put in the effort. Both of them or nothing. Sometimes we do not choose to be strong. We fight because we must.

"Enough talking Elle!" she hisses as her legs pick up momentum.

Run Fayne. Run for Luke, the Master too long gone. Run for Leia, the mother she may never see again. Run for Kylo Ren - for Ben, her Ben, the love she may have to lose. Run for life.

Her heart is as heavy as a rock. It physically feels like drowning. And Elle all she has.

Once upon a time, Fayne had of family. Leia, Han, Ben, Luke. They all took her in. It was like a proper little home . . . even if deep down, she knew that they were not her real family. So long ago . . .

Flashback

" . . . and they all lived happily ever after . . ."

"You're so beautiful," Ben interrupts. Always nice to see someone paying attention.

The green grass gently sways in the warm summer wind. Far up above, a corn blue sky races on as far as the eye can see. On Naboo, the sun is always purple in the evening. A sort of soft glowing lavender lantern. The light of the world.

Ben's head rests on Fayne's stomach, their hands entwined tightly. Everything is so painfully clear. Like a slap in the face. Look at what you had. And now it is all gone.

She loved these moments. Ben would take her away here for days at a time. Away from his parents Han and Leia, away from the heavy shadow cast by the First Order. Just them. Two souls with the same heart.

"Thank you dear," she sighs. She doesn't mind that he's not really paying attention. Sometimes he drifts in a place far away. But Fayne brings him back. Her love brings him home.

"Now where was I?" she recollects. "Ah yes, a happy ending . . ."

His grip subconsciously tightens and she winces. "Damn! Sorry love. Never meant to hurt you . . ."

"It's fine dear. It's fine." She rests her palm on his forehead. His flesh is soft and warm from a day spent dancing in the sun. He takes her palm and kisses it, again and again, holding it to his cheek like she could disappear at any moment.

"Fayne, you know that I love you . . ."

She sits up, forcing her lover to raise his head. She knows that tone. It's the "There's-something-I-have-to-tell-you-but-you're-not-going-to-like-it" tone. He always uses it. When he has to do something strange.

"What?" she asks. If he hears the tremble in her voice, he does not show it.

He pauses . His entire essence seems to fix on her, his dark eyes searching the face of his beloved. She touches his hand.

"Tell me Ben."

"I . . . I want to join the First Order."

End of Flashback

It did not stop her from marrying him. She was only 18, he was 19. It was a private ceremony, on Naboo. No one, not even his parents were told. It didn't stop her from loving him. His decision. She thought she could save him. But she was wrong. Her love wasn't enough. So she fled. And he has been searching relentlessly. For three long years.

Ben still became Kylo Ren. Still became the very monster that he swore that he wouldn't be. Dear Ben. This ache in her heart won't go away. It lingers in every waking breath and every sleepless night. Better if they had never met at all. So that this dying horror would never be hers to live.