Prologue

Comments and votes are appreciated! Please tell me what you think!

She cannot sleep again. The silence. It has to be the silence. Too many nights lying in the shadows, hinging on every foreign sound - the yip of a wolf, or the hushed chattering. Wondering if at any moment, she will have to grab her bag and run. Once again. Away from the tyrannical First Order.

The silence. Crawling in, lurking around the bed, ready to spit out some unholy abomination.

And that dream from last night. Leia always says that they are just dreams. Just dreams, and that Fayne should not think about them. But Fayne knows better . . .

The night air is fresh and biting. Freezing the lips, chattering the hands, gliding like a serpent around the Princess's skin. There is no moon tonight. No light. Just a foreign darkness reaching out, lying high above. And it is perfect. No one must see this meeting. Not even Han Solo.

Princess Leia draws her blatser cautiously as she hears twigs crack. Years of hiding out, wearing a mask and ready to flee for her life at a moment's notice? That changes a person. It sets them on edge.

"It is I Princess."

Leia relaxes her grip with a relieved sigh. Good. The mother has made it safely. Like a prayer answered.

Nadie Konrad is not a beautiful woman. Not even remotely pleasant. But as she draws closer, her face the only bare skin in the soft wind, Leia gasps and bites back her tongue. She looks like some sort of demon spawned from the womb of the devil. Her pale eyes are red with tears, the flesh on her face taut and tight over the tiny bones. Pools of shadow sit under her eyes and she walks as if upon a field of mines.

"Nadie, what is it? What's so urgent?"

The tiny woman bites her cheek, her fierce eyes scanning the surroundings. "You came alone?"

"Of course I did."

And yet even those words of reassurance do not stop her - she is still trembling like a cornered mouse. She shifts her arm slightly, and a tiny brown face comes into view, resting under her cloak. A baby?

"Nadie, what's . . ."

"I don't have much time!" she cries, rushing forward. The tiny bundle is shoved into Leia's arms before she can react.

"Please take care of my baby. The First Order . . . they will stop at nothing to stamp out the Jedi. They are a boil, a poison that is only beginning to take root. Soon, they will be unstoppable."

Nadie Konrad pauses. Even in the dark, the little beads of liquid sorrow tumble freely from her eyes. This is more than a terrified woman. This is a broken soul.

"My father survived Order 66. Now they are coming for me. I will not . . . I cannot let them take my daughter too! She is the last of her kind, except for your brother. And you must take her into your care before I . . ."

A piercing yelp rips from her mouth and she stumbles back like a being possessed of fire. "I have stayed too long. They will be searching for me now! Take care of her, I beg you!"

"I swear it." The Princess doesn't know what's happening. She doesn't know why. But if this woman's words are true, if she has risked her life just for a child, then the child cannot remain with her.

She turns to flee.

"At least tell me her name!" Leia whispers.

"Fayne Shryne. After my father, Jedi Knight Roan Shryne. Please my friend . . ."

Her eyes burn with a thousand emotions. The tearful bitterness of fear, a plea written in the weeping of her soul. And then she is gone.