Lesson Learned: For silverflyer

Start from the beginning

She could never love me back, I often thought to myself, gliding my blade across my scarred skin.

"Hiccup," I can still hear her soft voice call.

"Yes, (Y/ N)?" I would look down to meet my eyes with hers. She was always a skinny thing, thinner than me somehow, and she was also short for her age.

She always looked up at me with innocent (E/C) eyes. She would then give me her closed eyed smile and say, "I love you, big brother!"

Yes, that's all I would ever be to her, I told myself, saying, "I love you, too, (Y/ N)." Of course, I meant it in a different way, but she never knew that.

"Hiccup!" I could hear her shout, eager to show me something, whether it'd be something she made like a stuffed dragon, a rock, or something else she found in the forest or at the beach.

I would always call back and quickly make my way to her, and always with interest.

Quite a few times, she'd point something out. Something we saw so often, I was surprised she bothered to take note of it.

"Look, Hiccup," she pointed to the shadows of the leaves on the trees and the sunlight pouring through the gaps.

"Yeah, what about it, (N/ N)?" I had asked.

"Even the trees are happy. The sun is, too," she stated, bending her knees so she could graze her finger across the soft green grass, where the shadow moved back and forth with the wind.

I bent my knees as well, but didn't touch the grass. Instead, I stared at the same mix of shadows and light that she did but couldn't see how she saw happiness from it. "How can you tell?"

She looked at me the same time I looked at her and giggled. "Its dancing, Hic. Look." She pointed up just as the wind blew against the branches, shaking them. She jumped up. "See! Dancing! Their happy!"

I just chuckled at her. She saw the world around us so much differently. "And the sun?" I challenged.

She giggled at me again. "Why would it be shinning so brightly if it was sad?" Again, with her childish logic, but I didn't dare ruin her fun. "Silly Hiccup."

I nodded and let her be. "Alright."

She danced over the mix of shadows and sunlight. The sunlight seemingly danced across her skin as she held her arms out and spun. Her laughs filled the surrounding air, causing a smile to appear on my face as well.

And suddenly, I could see what she meant. With her presence, everything seemed to be happy. I wondered if it was just the two of us that noticed, or if everyone else around (Y/ N) did as well. She seemed to make everything around her happier. She made me happy just by thinking about her.

I blinked, the sharp pain from my blade across my skin bringing my roughly back into reality. I made several more cuts across my wrist, then some more on my stomach.

A knock disrupted my silence. "Hiccup?" a soft and familiar voice called out. "Big brother, can I come in?"

"(Y/ N)? Uh, just a minute." I quickly wiped up my own blood and hope that I wouldn't bleed much more as I hid my knife and bloodied rag in a drawer in my bedside table. "Come in."

It took less than a second before eleven year old (Y/ N) to coming bounding in. "Hi!" She giggled, jumping into my arms to give me a hug. I tried to hide my wince; she had rubbed my shirt against my cuts just right. . .

"Hi to you, too," I smiled at her. I looked at my window to see it was nearly dark. "Why are you here? It's late."

"I was running an errand for Uncle and wanted to give you a quick 'hello'. And to ask if we are still having that picnic tomorrow."