Prologue

"What do you need to do when you meet a demon?", repeated Lena's mother for the tenth time within the last half an hour.

"I come back to heaven and report his name", said Lena while rolling her eyes. She was checking her backpack once again and tried to go through the checklist in her mind.

"Please, Lena, I know I'm bothering you, but it's important." Her mother placed her hand on her shoulder and Lena sighed.

She knew that it was important. That was why she had been taught that lesson since she had set foot into the classroom. That was why her parents kept on repeating it, even during her days off. 

"Mom, I've graduated with straight A's. I know what to do when something goes wrong." 

But nothing would go wrong. She wasn't stupid. If there was a small chance that this could go wrong, they wouldn't have sent her. First missions weren't supposed to be hard. Mostly they weren't even official missions. 

"Your first mission!" Her mother smiled and placed her hands on her daughter's cheeks. "I'm so proud of you!" 

Lena felt her mother's soft lips on her forehead and she closed her eyes for a short moment while taking a breath. "Mom, please, don't make this a big thing." 

It was a big thing. As soon as her feet would touch the earth, she would officially be a guardian angel, just like her parents, just like her grandparents, just like the rest of her family. For her it was normal. Her family did missions like this one all the time. But her parents didn't allow her to forget that only a few angels made it this far.

"Fine", her mom protested, "I'll bring you to the launch platform. Your father will be there to say good-bye." She grabbed Lena's backpack and threw it over her shoulder. 

Lena had not brought much. Most of what she needed would be waiting for her in the small dorm on campus. She had only taken her diary and a picture of her parents.

"You're not gonna do this every time they're gonna sent me away, right?", asked Lena and her mother shook her head. 

"Only the first time, I promise."