Chapter 1: Offered A Chance

Luke's POV

"Every night I almost call you

Just to say it always will be you

Wherever you are"

I sang the last verse of one of our oldest songs and waited for the audience to clap. "I'd like to thank Mr. Bernard, owner of Sweet Tooth Cafe for having me." I bowed and sat down. It wasn't 5 million screaming girls, but I'll take what I can get.

Its been 5 years since Emerald left me and I left the band. Ever since, I've been working as an entertainer in a small cafe, Sweet Tooth. I like to think that its better this way. No drama, no paparazzi, no fights.

Mr. Bernard, the owner of the cafe, called me to his office. If he fired me, I don't know what I would do. This job is the reason I have a roof over my head and food to eat. After the band broke up, so did our contract and our pay check. I never saw Nick or Emerald after that say. Michael went solo like I suggested, and his life soared above the clouds. (Rita Ora is even his fiancee)

"Luke, we are opening a bigger branch of sweet tooth cafe in New Jersey and I was wondering if you'd be willing to work there. The company would pay for your accommodation and item shipping." I thought about his offer. Ever since I sold my mansion (for the money), nothing has been holding me here except for bad memories, and this might be my way to get closure.

Plus, how can a poor man turn down a free apartment?

"Yeah of course."

-- time lapse to when he lands in New Jersey --

Mr. Bernard said that he'd show me the apartment tomorrow so I decided to do some essential shopping. There was a small store near the airport, "Rite-aid."

***

Emerald's POV

A tall man with light brown hair and hazel eyes looked at me. He looked like Ashton, only older."Do you have tylenol? Like the one that makes you sleepy?" He looked tired, so I'm not sure why he needed it. A sleepless sick child, I guess.

"tylenol PM, um yeah." I handed him the dark blue liquid before flashing a quick smile.

For a minute I dosed off, thinking about my old friend. Its hard to believe Ashton only had 25 years when he deserved so many more. Sometimes I wish I would have died instead of him.

I left the counter and strolled near the "essentials" isle. Its always my favorite because it was near this huge window. I had a habit of leaning against and dreaming of a better life. Someone once told me, "If you dream hard enough, your dreams will come true." Back then, it seemed like a white lie to help me get through the day, but now, its all I have left.

As I was about to enter my dreamy state, I heard someone call me. Not by Mrs. Grimm or Princess, but by a name I haven't heard in a long time. Emerald.

I whipped my head around to see Luke. He looked taller, broader and had more facial hair but he was still Luke. My immediate reaction was to hug him, but I thought against it.

My conscious reminded me,

Nick will find out about Luke, Luke will find about Nick and this won't end well for you.

I sighed. "How can I help you?" Maybe if I treated him like he was a normal customer, he would be.

He smirked, causing my breath to quicken in seconds. "I don't know, you tell me." His half american half australian accent started to melt my insides.

I opened my mouth to reply when Luke wrapped his huge hands around my shoulders and pressed his lips to mine.

Its funny how he acted as if someone kidnapped me when in reality, I left him.