Chapter 14: Explanations

Ashton's POV

"Michael? Where's Emerald?"

He texted me the address, saying Luke kicked her out.

-

"Em?" Her face was tear stained and her shirt wet with the tears she wiped. I ran up to her cautiously, "W-What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I'm fine just please get out." she said it like she was angry, but not at me specifically.

"Oh ok." I didn't want to push it, but I didn't move.

"No I'm sorry. Come in." She sobbed quietly.

"Is it Luke-" We were both sitting on the couch.

"No Ashton its not. Its Nick."

"Nick the player?" She would laugh at him back in 8th grade. How was he making her cry now?

"Yeah 5 years ago, I uh dated him. I called the police once when he was drugging himself and they put him in jail. He's out to get me Ashton." She explained that Nick was Calum.

"I don't see the big deal. We are going to protect you." I couldn't imagine someone like him dating someone like her. He was school royalty. And there is no other way to put this but we were peasants, nobodies.

She sobbed louder, "No, Ashton you don't get it. H-He drugged me a-and then he used me..." she trailed off.

I couldn't imagine 9th Emerald going through that.

"I'm so sorry Emerald."It was almost upsetting how she is only 18 but she's seen and been through far more than most full grown adults.

"Now he wants to kill me."

***

Emerald's POV

I felt so weak. I hated crying, especially in front of someone like Ashton.

"We won't let him kill you. We love you too much for that."

Did he just say he loves me?

He couldn't love someone like me can he?

"You can't possibly love me." I whispered it quietly, not thinking he would hear.

"I do." I was leaning on him, my head against his chest.

He picked my head up and pressed his lips to them lightly. His kisses were beautiful in their own way. They weren't eerily dominating like Nick's, slobbery like Michael's or rough like Luke's. They were passionate but light.

"I do love you."

How had I been so oblivious to his care? "I love you too Ashton." But was it true? How could I love so many people at the same time?

Nick's right. I am a slut.

I held back tears, but a whimper escaped my lips.

"Emerald?"

I sat up and saw Luke behind me.

"Did I just see you kissing Ashton?" He took a step closer to me. How much did he hear?

***

Luke's POV

"Emerald?"

Was she kissing Ashton?

"Luke, uh hi." She used her fingers to pinch her other wrist, like she was punishing herself. "W-Why are you here?"