Chapter 21: Over and Out

The moment his lips touched mine, I felt a spark ignite between us and I couldn't pull away. I knew it was wrong, and I knew I had too many questions and suspicions, but that is what Luke did to me. He made forget everything but us... scratch that.. he made me forget everything but him.

So i did the unthinkable. 

I kissed him back. I lost all my insecurities and words and just focused on Luke.

 He slipped his arms under mine and lifted me up so I was standing but if he let go, I would fall. His almost genuine smile and the fact that he was easily holding all of my weight in his fingertips made me think of the times we had before all the drama and the abuse.

I wrapped my arms around his body and he did the same. Even though my murderer was hugging me, I felt safe, like no one could hurt me if he was here. With his massive frame and impressive arms, I felt like I had a body guard protecting me. I felt like he could hurt me but he won't.

But it wasn't just that.

That fact that he loved me made me feel less alone in a lonely world. His promising words and constant begging for another chance made my heart flutter.

***

Luke's POV

The minute she hugged me I felt like I lived up to my mom's standards. Like I meant something to someone. She was so much smaller than me but mentally, she towered over me like the eiffel tower. 

Emerald meant so much to me because she knows exactly how to press my buttons but she won't. She can break up and with me and date anyone else, but she won't. And that meant more to me than anything.

***

Emerald's POV

My thoughts were abruptly interrupted but a doorbell ringing. 

At the door stood my old friend Adette. She pulled me in for a hug. With her one arm, she yanked me outside the house. "I have something for you. Follow me."

Luke grabbed his keys. "I can drive." he scratched his head an backed up his statement, "You know, if you want me to"

Adette ran her fingers through her hair. "So can I." From what I told her, she had a very bad representation of Luke, and I'm sure Luke knows that.

"Yeah, but-"

"Yeah, but I know I have one hand, but that doesn't mean I can't drive a car."

Color rushed into Luke's face, making me chuckle. Luke doesn't get embarrased very often

"I just umm want to come along."

She opened her mouth to sass him again, but I silenced her. "I think he's had enough."

"Oh but I was just getting started." We laughed, and went over to the car, Luke sitting awkwardly in the back seat, barely fitting, may I add.

***

Luke's POV

"Adette, where are we going?" 

"Can't tell you." She smiled widely at Emerald. 

But I knew where we going and why, and I can't say I'm proud of it.

My phone buzzed 

Message from Nick:

She's going to leave you and the minute she does, she'll fall into my promising arms.

How did he know?

***

Emerald's POV

We went into the hospital silently until Dr. Styles approached us.