Chapter nine-Juliet

Our leaf-house got bigger and better over time, and soon we even had our own 'rooms', which were really just small spaces that were seperated with huge palm tree leaves.

We needed to drink water regularly, but in order to make it portable so that we didn't have to constantly walk to the stream, two coconut cups were made.

Really, it was a coconut cracked in half, and without the holes so that the contained liquid wouldn't dribble out. We scraped out the inside of the coconut shell so that the water we drank from was pure, and also because of the risk of the coconuts going bad.

I was used to the daily grind: waking up every morning no later than about 11.30, having mangoes for breakfast, a swim in the ocean, fish for lunch, then going for a long walk with Rèmy in the jungle, travelling deeper into it everyday, then a mid-afternoon snack of crab or fish, fishing, a swim in the ocean and then dinner-which consisted almost always of the fish that we'd hunted two hours before.

Sleep was generally when we wanted, because often Rèmy and I spoke to each other, but not about an awful lot of things.

Usually the conversations were about the things we knew, things we have done in our lives, family, even secrets-though I haven't got many.

I shouldn't say any of Rèmy's secrets now, he'd feel betrayed and I'd feel guilty.

However, one that he said that wasn't very secret was the fact that he too, had found it difficult to make friends, claiming that there were many children of his age back in his hometown of Port-de-Paix. However, he never really even had the chance to make friends with anyone since his mother was sick most of the time, and he rightiously took care of her.

Therefore, that is why he was very cautious of me, and displayed that by being a very irritable, moody person, nonetheless very good-hearted and caring.

At this time, when we'd known each other for more than two years, he was starting to change. Truly an open, wisdomic person: Rèmy was slowly starting to show me who he really was.

Once a year, when it came to his mother's death anniversary, he was very depressed. The thing is, we were never really sure of the date, we just made a calendar on one of the largest rocks on the beach with scratches of stone, to which each day was ticked off with a cross that either of us made with the rub of a stone upon it. We had to go to many different rocks and complete the calendar, and eventually there were no more of them to mark on. So, Rèmy found a large rock wall, about half a mile away from our home, and one of us each day had to walk there to tick off the day which we lived in.

Once I forgot, and Rèmy became very frustrated with me. I was tired that day, so it wasn't all my fault. I had to go the day after that and tick off two days: one for the day in which we lived at present and the other for the one before it.

As I was saying, when it came to Laurette's yearly death anniversary, which was the 26th of September, since my 10th birthday, I never celebrated on that day.

If I was not mistaken, the year then was 2123, the month being December, so soon it would be 2124, and I had turned 13 three months earlier.

Rèmy was born in the year of 2110, in July, so he was 14.

I soon realised that I had forgotten most of my English, and that at times made me sad because with my mother I naturally almost always spoke with her in English, however sometimes in Greek, which I had forgotten.

I was perfectly fluent in French then, and I loved saying anything in it. Such an elegant language, is French, especially the 'L', and the 'E'.

Sometimes, I would teach Rèmy some English, as he seemed to be very interested in it. Many times I would let him know what an object was called in my native tongue, like when he'd asked me what the 'Océan' was, I'd reply by saying naturally and clearly in English, 'Ocean'.