Chapter Twenty: Infiltrating on Two Ends

Sam:

"Are you fucking serious!!!" I growled, but Riley measly shrugged. He shook himself dry, pulled up his zipper, and turned toward me with a half drunken smile. "You're going to get us killed!"

"Gotta piss on them somehow." He shrugged and I rolled my eyes.

"You're a moron." I whispered, ducking below the same bush Riley had taken his sprinkle on. I scrunched my face, and thrusted the beaten down walkie-talkie into his calloused hand.

Our mission was simple. Infiltrate the western castle and search for survivors—for Sketch. The guards were thinned, but even facing one of them was dangerous. The soulless beasts that shared our same skin could tear us apart within a blink of an eye. My training was not to fight but to to avoid detection. Vampires are the deadliest and most unpredictable opponent of all the demons that rushed our planets resources.

We could study crawlers and learn how to defeat them, but vampires?

Those things were always hungry.

If caught, we would face much more than any death sentence. Excruciating torture for information that both us valued more than our own lives. If capture was upon us, so was my death. My brain rattled with too many of our operations biggest secrets, I couldn't allow for them to obtain it.

My dagger burned against my waistband, reminding me of the mission ahead of us and the cost of it. It could all be over within a second, but I couldn't give in now.

Riley pressed on, while I kept a close watch on our surroundings. We rounded the corner, pressing close to wall to find the best blind spot to scale.

Riley whistled lowly for my attention, and I tossed the grappling hook towards him. He caught it effortlessly, throwing it up to latch onto a metal pipe lining the wall.

Riley went up first, using the stone and pipe for a better grip. I tested the rope with a small tug and started climbing after him. It was a cool night and the breeze felt nice against my face, as if pushing me to move faster. The only bright side of humanity's downfall smiled down upon me, as if my fallen ancestors were all watching and encouraging us to move faster.

Riley gently pushed the window up, making sure it didn't make so much as a creak before climbing in. It was a dark, dimly lit hall, that opened up farther around the corner down into two pathways.

We made our pact, and separated on a lone journey to infiltrate the castle on two ends. With little success these past few weeks, with little chatter on the airways we've managed to raid empty locations.

I silently made my way to to the end of the hall, silent in my movement. My training would not fail me - I had to remember that. There was a door to my right, and with the darkness as my aid I slipped inside.

The door clicked shut softly, and I sighed turning around to face my next obstacle. The room was completely pitch black, not a single light or indication of life. My flashlight sparked to life in my hand as I shined it down the hall. It was dark, much like a dungeons hallway. With one step into the hallway, an activation of torches protruded from the walls.

I gasped, nearly tripping over myself as the lights slowly illuminated the last of room in a timed sequence.

With the profound new light, and my disturbance the enormous beast in front of me woke up.

Either I was going crazy or I was actually in hell. The creature could only be described as a very large pit bull, twenty times the size and with three gigantic heads. A beast out of my darkest, deepest nightmares.