Chapter Four: A Mess

There was nothing quite like the first bloom of every spring season.

The flowers that sprouted from the earth grew with vibrancy across the taunt meadows creating an endless maze that sparked the most brilliant fireflies to greet them. It felt like home, and I wanted to stay forever. Stay where the flowers swallowed the earth.

Only in the deepest part of the woods can you manage to spot them. Unfortunately, that means you have to cross over the border and into the savage no man's land that resided with countless monsters and beasts waiting for their next prey.

The dome was the nearest place you could find such vibrancy, but I would rather take my chances with a crawler than a demon.

The domes were these huge enormous structures that held millions of humans, overseeing their production and their doom. Sam always tells me the stories of the people that are held inside who are tortured,drained and imprisoned. I believe him. Sam and the others knew better, they have seen it for their own eyes. Me on the other hand? I had barely left the border much less see a dome for my own eyes. I can only imagine how massive they must sit, stretching for miles and miles and secluded from the outside world.

We're their human cattle, a walking blood bag for them to suck on whenever they want.

Sam once told me he caught a glimpse of them ordering the humans in from the main doors, with these collars on their necks. He wanted to intervene but he would just get himself in trouble, as Riley said. The mission lasted five days, and they retired late in the afternoon so I didn't see him for a week. Not that that was good or bad but I was allowed to sneak into the woods with no supervision.

We were about twenty miles from the nearest dome, just south of it, and many would say was a terrible location. We had plans set in place just in case but the monsters surrounding us on all sides prevented a demon from stumbling too close. Vampires were strong but they had no interest in monsters - they are one.

We have a loft, hidden from the formal eye and only accessible through a floorboard. Inside held space to house thirty people, canned food, water, blankets, and clothing that we have accumulated over the years.

I did my own protections over the years, spreading salt wherever I could, remembering my grandmothers stories. Salt wasn't just for keeping ants away and could ward even the most ferocious beasts.

"Sketch, it's time for dinner." My brothers' voice echoed throughout the room making me turn and scowl.

I stood up from the window, instantly regretting my movement nearly doubling over as the hot air rushed inside my lungs. Once meeting his expression I quickly masked mine with a forced smile. Sam stood at the doorway with his arm pushed up against the railing leaning against it like he was some sort of model. No way was I going to show him I was in pain - he would never let me become a scout.

I pushed him out of the way and moved toward the stairs to get the dining area absolutely loathing his snickers behind me.

"Tonight we are having a bonfire, you can go but no running off into the woods. Must I need to rescue the damsel again?" Sam called from behind making me freeze.

Sam passed me to get to the plates, casting me another snide glance.

I stood next to my brother, waiting for the bell to chime and dinner to start. Sam was not silent and took to chatting up the new members with tales of the previous bonfires. The blonde boy, Conner leaned over to get my attention but I scowled instantly at his approach. He measly smiled and pulled up his hands in defense.

"I'm sorry, I hope that you can forgive me?" The blondes' words were loud but calm, and the problem was I didn't want to hear them.

Before I could respond the bell chimed indicating the start of dinner. Instantly people started chattering loudly as the line formed at the promise of food.
I looked up slowly taking in many faces including the dick-wad of a boy, Conner was now moved to the other side of the table - right across from me. Sparky found a way at my side being my extra disposal of food. I brought my hand up to the table and grabbed the fork, lifting it to my plate of food.

I then ate my corn but when Sam wasn't lookin, I would give Sparky some of it.

Glancing over I noticed that boy chatting up one of Gracie's friends. She was blushing, and smiling like she was about to burst. She was really pretty.

But Conner was pretty too - I never noticed that. He looked over at me, catching me staring. I quickly adverted my gaze, looking down at my plate. Oh god, I hope I'm not blushing!

"We are starting the bonfire now, in honor of our new arrivals—even though they asked to watch the borders. You are welcome to this family." Riley's' voice broke out through the chatter, but then it went quiet as he raised his glass.

My gaze fell to my cup of water as everyone followed in pursuit. Some people clanked glasses, while other downed the content.

I looked back at Conner and his friends but they started to get up. Wait, everyone was getting up and started to pile outside. I quickly avoided the newcomer group and Sam, blending in with the girls as they huddled in groups.

But he turned around and looked at me with those big blue eyes. I ducked hoping his gaze wouldn't find mine. I'm sure he felt bad about what happened but I couldn't stand being pushed around anymore.

Why was I such a mess?