Chapter Three: So I'm Grounded?

Crawler to the side>>>>>>>

My nightmares didn't come all that often anymore but when they did, I dreamed of various snarling creatures that resembled the sunken plains that we once called home.

Trees stood tall around us, and though they were our main protection source they also trapped us in. It wouldn't take much for any kind of creature to surround us. Our defenses were strong but could always be better. Sam was always adamant to refuse new members into warriors, says our resources were better used in medical aid and harvesting. I just saw it as a way for him to keep me beneath him.

I made my way into the study room, glancing out the window to see some of the boys and girls sparing and laughing at something funny. Not that I would ever know what they were laughing about, since no one included me for anything. I unlocked the wooden door to the closet, and grabbed some clothes that Gracie made me.

After putting on the clothes laid out, I went downstairs to see if there was some food available to satisfy my mumbling stomach. After descending down the stairs eager for a slice of bread. I pushed past some of the boys that were fooling around in the kitchen but I didn't see him until I turned to the table.

Sam was sitting at the dining table drinking something that looked like coffee, or grounded up mush.

"Sketch, I already made you a plate." Sam broke me from my thoughts, as he gestured to the plate beside him, full of food. I slowly made my way over to the table, sinking in the chair next to him. He nudged the plate close to me, and grabbed the fork, placing it in my hand.

"No going into the forest today, the borders haven't been checked for a while."

"But I really want to go see—"

"No Sketch, it's bad enough that you went in there yesterday when I specifically told you not to."

"I am old enough to take care of myself." I said pushing the plate back, using my sassy attitude, as Sam called it.

"Obviously not when you can't follow certain orders." he all but growled.

"So I'm grounded?" I asked sarcastically.

"Just eat." He said, taking another sip of the liquid in the cup.

I grumbled but I finished my plate as slowly as possible, wanting to drag his morning out as well. But as soon as I finished, Sam got up and walked outside to probably start his shift for the morning. I stood up quickly, pushing back from the table, running out after him.

"Wait....Sam!" I called out.

"What did I just say, Sketch?"

"But I just want to go to the garden!" I complained.

"Sketch, why can't you just listen?"

"Because I'm stubborn." I said simply.

His lip twitched up into a smile, only for a second but it was there so I knew he would let me off.

"Fine, just stay on the property, out of the woods." he said.

I grabbed a wooden basket, and sat down in amongst the plants, careful not to squash then. Usually, everyone switches jobs like this but I just did whatever whenever. I walked over to the tomato plants and picked the reddest and ripest ones, but there wasn't many. A few more weeks and they would be bigger but we always risked food shortages.

I started to hum a small tune as I did this, a tune similar to the one my mom used to sing me. The plants always seemed to dance a little bit more vibrantly with the soft melody. The smell of the fresh air put me at peace, reminding me of the safeties of our safe haven. I breathed a sigh, the wind kissing my cheeks with content. For now, I would listen to Sam but once the border was clear I would run as far as I could.