Chapter 27

(Gerard's POV)

My brother's dead body lies at my feet, blood pouring out from his neck into a pool of dark, sticky liquid beside his face, showing how he had died. Someone had slit his throat.

I am numb as I fall to the floor on my knees, wrapping my arms around Mikey's limp, still-warm body and weep into his hair, gently shutting his eyes with my fingertips. I leave a gentle kiss on his forehead. "May you go peacefully with Destroya, dear brother. I love you."

"Hey Party, have you seen-" I hear Fun Ghoul's voice from the other end of the hall stop abruptly. I turn to face him, my expression utterly defeated.

"He's gone." I whisper, looking back to Mikey.

Ghoul rushes over, bending down beside him. He winces and looks away. "First Jet, now Kobra. Something is defiantly going on."

"I wish Jenna were here." I admit, still hating myself for punishing her so harshly.

Ghoul pats my shoulder. "Go get her, Party. You know where to find her. Bring her home." He gives me a smile.

I nod to him, standing up from Mikey's body. "D-do you think you could bury him? I don't now if I have the sanity to do so."

Ghoul nods. "Of course, Ghoul. I've got your back."

"You and Wolf keep an eye on things while I'm gone." I add, standing at the end of the hallway. "I don't know how long it will take me to convince her to come back."

"She'll come back, Party." Ghoul convinces me. "She loves you."

I take a deep breath. "I hope she still does." I mutter under my breath before disappearing up the staircase and out into the vast sandy wasteland.

(White Fox's POV)

I continue to stare at the girl in front of me. By now, Skeleton had lowered his gun, eyes widening. "Rose Spark?" He choked.

Rose Spark...this is Gerard's sister! "You're Gerard's sister!" I gasp, covering my mouth with my hands.

Rose nods. "I've been working undercover in Battery City for the past few years." She looks to Skeleton. "How are you, Alex?"

Skeleton huffs. "Call me Skeleton. That name left me the second I joined the Killjoys under the rule of White Smoke."

Rose chuckles. "I'm just yanking your chain, Skelly." She turns back to me. "I can't be seen out in the open like this, so close to Gerard's base."

"But Rose, Gerard thinks you're dead." I explain, confused as to why she wouldn't want to see her brother. "He would be ecstatic to know that you're still alive!"

Rose meets my gaze with sorrowful eyes. "Gerard always told me how unsafe being a spy is, and he hated being one. Before he became leader, he would always talk to me about how he would ban Killjoys training to become spies, despite the fact that almost every other Killjoy base still practices the art."

Rose breaks my gaze and sighs, staring at the ground and kicking the sand around with her foot. "Gerard would never let me continue to be a spy if I came back."

"Maybe he would still let you." I prompt, cracking a hopeful smile.

She shakes her head. "I love being a spy too much to risk it by coming home. I do love Gerard as well, Mikey too, but I just don't know." After she speaks she looks up at me. "You won't tell anyone I'm still alive, will you?" Her eyes plead.

"Of course not, Rose." I honestly reply. "Your secret is safe with us, right Skeleton?" I turn to him with a hard stare.

Skeleton flinches at my gaze, nodding in agreement. "Oh, uh, ya, I won't tell anyone."

Rose nods, trusting our word.

"Hey Rose," Skeleton speaks up. "You're more than welcome to stay with me and White Fox for a bit."

Rose Spark looks confused. "Wait, I thought you two were with Gerard."

I sigh. "It's a long story. If you come with us, we can explain it to you. We're too exposed here."

Rose ponders the thought before agreeing. "Alright, I'll come with you guys. After all, my hideout in Battery City isn't the best place."

~

Once we arrive back at Skeleton's place,  I slump my aching body on the couch, my feet and legs sore from running.

Skeleton and Rose sit on the couch. Rose looks at the two of us expectantly. "Well, you promised an explanation, so let's hear it." She prompts.

"I don't know if you know this," Skeleton begins. "But Gerard thinks it's my fault that you never returned from that one last mission."

This is obviously news to Rose; she raises her eyebrows with awe. "I didn't know that." She murmurs guiltily.

"He became leader shortly afterward, and exiled me along with Flame Seeker, Blue Storm, and Wild Mustang." Skeleton adds, only bringing more guilt towards Rose.

"I'm so sorry." Rose quietly whispers, holding her face in her hands. "I feel so bad."

Skeleton pats her back. "Don't be; I'm doing just fine as a rogue."

"Wait, you said Gerard also exiled Flame, Mustang, and Blue too; where are they?" Rose asks suddenly.

"Shortly after I joined, Skeleton returned to The Nest with the other spies." I explain. "Gerard forgave Flame, Blue, and Mustang, but his hatred for Skeleton was still strong, so Gerard threatened to kill Skeleton if he was ever found on his land."

"He should have gotten rid of Flame too." Skeleton grunts angrily, his fists clenching.

"What did he do?" Rose questions.

"We think Flame is plotting against Gerard's Killjoys." I answer. "I saw him kill Jet Star with my own eyes."

Rose gasps. "That's terrible!" She suddenly lifts her head up. "I just remembered something!"

Skeleton and I lean in, eager to hear the spy's words.

"While I was spying on a Scarecrow meeting, I-I saw Flame talking with Korse Morrison. They want you, White Fox."