Chapter 18

The same dream I had a few nights ago occurred again, and like I did before, I woke up gasping for air.

My hands clutched the blanket and I wipe the sweat beading on my forehead. Why do I keep having the same dream?

The memory of the factory stuck in my head like gum to the bottom of a table.

My heavy breathing must have woken up Gerard, because I see his figure sit up in bed.

He rubs his eyes sleepily and runs his hand through his messy red hair. "Are you okay, Jenna?"

My heart sank with guilt that I had woken him up from a well-deserved rest. "I'm so sorry, Gerard, I didn't mean to wake you. I'll just go back to my room."

"Wait, Jenna, no. Please stay here." I could see his bright hazel eyes through the darkness. Gerard pats the spot on the bed next to him.

Taking the kind gesture, I crawl in the bed with him. Gerard's arm wraps around my shoulders and I lean my head on his bare chest. "What's on your mind, honey?"

"I-it was just a bad dream that I keep having, it's not that big of a deal. There's just something about it..." I trail off, breathing in Gerard's scent; cologne, cinnamon, and a hint of alcohol.

"Jenna, if it's bothering you, then it's a big deal to me. I want you to be happy." Gerard squeezes my shoulder and looks me in the eye.

I stare at him in shock. "You are about me?"

Gerard then pulls me into a hug, rocking me back and forth. It reminded me of my first night here, and Gerard stayed up with me.

"Jenna, I care so much about you, Tommy too." Gerard murmurs. "And if something is causing you trouble, I want to be the one to make it go away. You can trust me with anything."

Gerard's words were so comforting. He was so wise, considering his young age. It was no wonder White Smoke had made him leader, after all, he was his son.

I wonder how Kobra feels, being looked over by his own father and for his brother to get all the glory.

But Kobra is generous and kind, and I couldn't imagine him being jealous over something like that.

Gerard turns my head towards him and smiles, showing his white teeth. "You're so beautiful, Jenna."

I turn away to look at the wall, blushing and grinning like an idiot. "No I'm not."

Gerard turns my head back to his face and leans in so our foreheads are touching. "I'll make you believe you're beautiful." And with that, he pressed his soft lips against mine.

Gerard wraps his arms around my waist, still not breaking the kiss, and lays down, pulling me close to his chest.

We pull away and I gaze into Gerard's eyes. He kisses my forehead and I nuzzle my head in his neck. "Goodnight." He murmurs.

~

I awake feeling Gerard's arms around my waist, giving me a warm feeling inside. I stir a bit, causing Gerard to sit up, untangling himself from me.

"Ugh what time is it?" Gerard groans, stretching his arms and scrunching up his face. It was adorable.

I glance at my watch. "7:20." I read aloud, standing up from the bed and stretching.

Gerard throws on a gray t-shirt and his navy blue jacket with a patch that read "Dead Pegasus" on it.

"Thanks for letting me spend the night here." I smile gratefully at Gerard.