Chapter 8

The figure walks closer and closer towards me. I stifle back a scream when whoever it is was wraps their arms around me in a hug.

My eyes adjust to the darkness a bit and I can make out a familiar face. "Gerard?"

Even through the darkness, I can see his smile. He takes me in his arms again, rocking me back and forth.

I feel something wet on my shoulder and then I hear Gerard's faint sobs as he cries into my shoulder. "Do you wanna talk about it?" I ask, rubbing his back with my hands in an attempt to comfort him.

Gerard nods and grabs my hand gently, causing butterflies in my stomach. He guides me towards the window, where there is a small ledge. Gerard climbs onto it, pulling me up with him, and sits down with his knees pulled up to his chest. I sit across from him with my hands in my lap, gazing out the window.

"She's out there somewhere," I hear Gerard whisper quietly, looking out the window as if he could see thousands of miles away.

"What was she like?" I ask tentatively, breaking the silence. I soon regret speaking in fear of making him tear up again, but he looks at me and takes my hand in his, squeezing it tight.

"She was adventurous and independent, like you, Jenna." Gerard says genuinely. "You remind me so much of her. I know it sounds weird but, the minute I first saw you at that gas station, I caught a glimpse of Rose in you."

I was thankful that it was dark, so Gerard couldn't see my cheeks turn a dark shade of red.

The dark room was silent once again. I fiddle around with my hands in my lap as my thoughts churn around in my head.

"Jenna?" Gerard's quiet whisper pierces the thick silence that hung heavy in the air.

"Yes?" I reply, leaning in to hear him.

I jump a bit when suddenly I feel Gerard's lips on mine; he was kissing me! Do I kiss back? Is this wrong? I haven't known him for only a few days?

I ignore the questions rolling around in my head and kiss him back. I feel Gerard relax into the kiss, and he rests his hands on my cheeks. I wrap mine around his neck.

We both eventually take a breath, pressing our foreheads together. I gaze deep into his brown eyes and smile widely, not caring anymore if he could see me blushing.

Gerard smiles back and pulls me into his lap. I rest my head on his chest while he has his arms around my waist, one hand stroking my bleached hair.

It seemed like we sat there for years just staring into the vast desert without saying a word. I'm not sure when, but while the two of us laid there enjoying each other's company, we both fell asleep on the windowsill.

I'm awoken by the bright sun shining in through the window, just peeking over the sand dunes. I lift my head up, causing Gerard to stir. We are in the same position as we were last night. Gerard looks at his watch while running his fingers through his messy red hair.

"What time is it?" I ask with a yawn.

"6:30, everyone will be getting up soon." Gerard murmurs.

I hear Gerard cough slightly. I turn around to face him and he nods to me. "I'm kinda trapped." he says with a chuckle.

I blush and jump off of him, landing on the floor. "Sorry," I mutter, turning away and walking towards the spiral staircase to see if Tommy and Red were awake yet, although knowing Tommy, he'd still be snoring like a bear.

As I turn the corner from the staircase and into the hallway, I bump into someone. My hair was in my eyes so I couldn't really see who it was at first.