Chapter 1

With the wind at my back and the open desert laying in front of me, I sprinted against the loose, scorching sand that covered the land.

Despite the nagging hunger clawing at my belly and the extremely heavy weight of my backpack, I'm able to run swiftly away from the masked brutes.

In the backpack contains the two most important things I need right now; food and water, which I had successfully stolen from a local gas station.

I felt a bit ashamed in stealing something; my parents had raised me right with morality, but my theft was for a good and important cause: survival.

The spikes I had tricked up my white Converse with helped my feet grip the sand, allowing me to run faster than most.

I could still hear the anxious and determined shouts of the Draculiods as I outran them. Flipping my long, white fringe out of my face, I turn around quickly to see how far behind they were.

To my luck, the Draculiods were looking more tired with every step they took to attempt to capture me. Smirking, I continue to sprint until I'm 100% sure I'm out of sight of them.

Soon, I slowed my running to a jog, then finally to a steady walk. By this time, my breath was coming out in large gasps, tired from running.

As I walked, I payed close attention to the different cacti and plants that grew here in the desert. My shelter shouldn't be too far from here now.

Just when I thought the heat of the sun was going to get the best of me, I spot my shelter; a shallow, but effective, cave hidden by a group of cacti growing together.

Thanks to my slim and agile body, I'm able to slide among the thorns without getting pricked.

As soon as I'm sheltered from the harsh sun and step into the cave, I'm greeted by a special little black-haired boy named Tommy.

"Jenna's home! Jenna's home!" He squeaks with delight.

Smiling, I lift him up into my arms and kiss his cheek. "Thanks for holding down the fort while I was gone, Tommy."

Tommy puffs out his little chest in pride. "Nobody gets past Tommy!" He proclaims boldly.

I giggle at his courageous behavior, but Tommy hadn't always been that way:

When I first found him, he was in training to be a Draculiod, but he had wandered off from the training area and had discovered my cave.

He was afraid of me at first, but I soon gained his trust. Tommy had told me all about how his parents forced him to go into training when he was only 8, and he said that the Draculiods were mean to him.

I told him I thought the Draculiods were mean too, so that must have gotten him to trust me. Soon after, he asked if he could join me in living as an outcast. Of course, I said yes, and to this day, I'll always protect him with my life.

Tommy was now 10 years old, but he looked and sounded younger than he really was. It's probably because of malnourishment, considering he fact that I had to provide food for the both of us, and it wasn't always easy to shoplift.

I sit criss-cross applesauce on the cold, hard cave floor against the wall, patting the spot next to me for Tommy.

He eagerly crawls over and rests his head on my shoulder as I open up my backpack.

I pull out two candy bars, two bags of chips, and two bottles of soda for us to eat for dinner. I knew it wasn't the proper nutritious meal for a growing young boy, but it was all I could swipe.

Tommy takes the chips and gobbles the bag down in a hurry, along with the candy bar, and washes it all down with his soda.

By the time I'm done eating, the sun was already beginning to set behind the sandy dunes.

I pull out an old t-shirt and a pair of shorts for me to sleep in, shedding off my black tank top, tan capris, and my beat-up Converse.

I was now only wearing my bra and underwear; Tommy and I have grown so close, we were like brother and sister, so I didn't really have a problem with him seeing me half-naked, nor did he mind me seeing him.

After the both of us had changed, we make our way to the sleeping bags arranged like a bed. Throwing my snow-white hair into a ponytail, I lay my tired and aching body down on it with a sigh, closing my eyes.

My eyes flutter open to see a pair of little brown eyes staring at me. "Can you tell me a story, Jenna?" Tommy pleads, giving me his best "puppy face".

I crack a smile and sit up, letting Tommy rest his head on my lap. I stroke his straight black hair and begin the story.

"Once upon a time, there was a group of four superheroes, who were all very handsome. The four superheroes lived in a town where chaos reigned wherever you looked or stepped.

"Each of the four superheroes had a unique superpower; the first superhero, who had flaming red hair, had the power of fire, the second one with a black uniform, controlled the shadows, the third one with a yellow uniform had the power of electricity, and the fourth one with blonde hair had the power of invisibility.

"The four superheroes' worst nemesis was an evil scientist named Dr. Death. Dr. Death wanted more than ever to take over the world and kill anyone who didn't obey him.

"But the four superheroes defeated Dr. Death and saved the town forever. The end." I finish.

Tommy was now fast asleep in my lap. I press a kiss to his forehead and whisper him 'goodnight' before I too am overcome my the strong force of sleep.