Chapter 9, Part 2

"How was your day, guys?" Dad asked. We just came back after a long day at the beach. After we all washed up, Mama and Dad came back home, so we decided to have dinner. "It was great! I finally taught Rei how to surf," Ross exclaimed with pride. "Whatever, it was me and Rocky who loosened her up," Riker argued. After a minute or two of sharing a laugh, the doorbell rang. "I got it!" I shouted before anyone else could question.

I made my way to the front door and opened it. "Hey," Lucas greeted. "Hi," I replied. He was wearing cordial clothes, a good blend of formal and casual, and holding flowers in his hand. He saw me looking at the flowers. "Oh, these are for you," Lucas said. "Thanks," I said as I took the flowers. 

He followed me to the dining room, where everyone- including Ratliff- is. We stepped into the room and everyone glanced up from their meal. All of their mouthed dropped. "R-Rei, what's Lucas doing here?" Riker stuttered, trying to put a welcoming smile on his face. "I invited him. I wanted you guys to know him better," I replied with an innocent smile on my face.

We all just stood and/or sat there in awkward silence until thankfully Dad broke it. "Well, Lucas, pull up a seat. Delly, can you go get Lucas a plate?" Rydel did as requested and Lucas took the seat to the right of me after I took my seat. "Did you ask your family if I could come?" Lucas whispered. "Nope," I replied. Rydel put a plate and utensils in front of Lucas. "Thank you," Lucas said. Rydel nodded and smiled in reply. At least someone's being nice, I thought.

We ate in silence. "So, Lucas, how was your day?" Rocky asked as an attempt to be friendly. "Oh, it was good. It was funny that we ran into each other at the beach, right?" Lucas said with a laugh. "Yeah, what were you doing there, anyway?" Ratliff asked. "I was planning to go to the beach with Rei, anyway. So after she cancelled, I thought I might as well go alone," Lucas replied.

There was another period of silence after that. "So what do you like to do for fun?" Ross asked. "I'm a hockey player," Lucas replied. Everyone's brows raised in surprise. "How long have you been playing?" Dad asked. "Well," Lucas thought, "About... Maybe... Since I was 8." "Well, son, maybe you should play with us sometime," Dad said. Rocky, Ross, and Riker looked at Dad with faces that said, "What the heck are you doing?!" "Yeah, I'd love to. Thanks, Mr. Lynch," Lucas replied, with a huge smile on his face. I smiled, glad my family is- even if little by little- coming around and accepting Lucas.

After dinner, we all hung out in the living room. Rydel was looking through the video games with Ryland. Rocky and Riker were discussing songs. Ross and Ratliff were play-wrestling. Finally, Lucas and I were sitting on the couch, just talking about life. Mama and Dad already went to bed, so Riker was "parent supervision".

"Hey, guys! We should play," Rydel said while holding up a dance game. Everyone agreed. "Lucas, are you going to play?" Ryland asked. "Sure. I used to dance when I was younger," Lucas replied. "Show us what you got, bro," Rocky taunted.

We had a dance off. Two people would face-off and the person with the highest score would move on. To everyone's surprise, I joined in, but then lost on the first round. I've never been really good at hip-hop, which is what we generally dance every time we have a dance battle. The last two to face-off were Lucas and Rydel. Naturally, my siblings and Ratliff were all for Rydel. Since, Lucas had no one to cheer him on- and since Rydel won thousands of times- I was rooting for him.

"Okay, the person who has the highest score wins the whole shebang," Ryland went on. "Ry, we know. Stop playing announcer and let them dance," I urged. Ryland held his hands up in surrender and sat next to me on the couch.

Lucas and Rydel danced for a while, both evenly matched. I must admit, Lucas was a pretty good dancer. He was maybe even a little better than Rydel, and that's saying a lot, especially since she is the best dancer in the family.

They danced for a while, both not willing it give up. That was until Ratliff yelled, "You got this, Rydel! I believe in you!" I saw Rydel blush multiple shades of red. She got distracted, giving Lucas a chance to get ahead of her.

The song ended and the game tallied up the score. "And Lucas is the winner!" Ryland exclaimed, in a announcer's voice. Rydel looked very impressed. "I must say, you're a great dancer," Rydel said while shaking Lucas's hand. "Thanks," he replied.

Rydel and Dad down; I thought; Ross, Riker, Rocky, Ratliff, and Ryland to go.

Hey guys! Thanks so much for 5k reads! It really means a lot to me! I'm glad to know you guys like the story.

I'd like to tell you guys a really random story that happened today. You could skip if you want I just wanted to tell you this because I feel like this is beyond funny, in my opinion. So I was packing up in my classroom, about to go home, when someone walked up to me. She called my name and I thought she was one of my classmates so I yelled out, "Yo!" Then I turned around and saw it was my teacher. I was so absolutely embarrassed! I felt so bad! She wasn't mad, actually she showed no reaction, but still! Anyway, yeah.

So remember to comment! I absolutely live for comments! Specifically, tell me if you guys ship Lucas and Rei. I love you guys! Bye! ❤️✌️❤️