Chapter 3

I realized I was on a gurney. I was being raced out of the concert and outside, with my family rushing alongside me. As the gurney was being lifted into the ambulance, I heard Mama saying something about riding with Daddy and I. I passed out. I saw a memory. I was just seven, yet I already made a life changing decision.

"So we were thinking...." Mama began. "And we thought Rei should start playing an instrument of her choosing. If she wants of course," Daddy finished. "I bet she'll play guitar," Rocky said. "Puh-lease! She's gonna play the keyboard," Rydel argued. "Guys, we should just go to the mall and let her choose," Ryland interrupted. "Fine," Rocky and Rydel grumbled. "Thanks, Ry," I said as we all piled into the car. "Anything for my best friend," he replied.

As we drove to the mall, I wondered about what instrument I would play. Guitar? No. Keyboard? No. Bass? No. Maybe, drums? N- "We're here!" Ross exclaimed. We all got out of the car and walked to the music shop.

I looked at the hundreds of instruments. My family and I were mainly looking at the "rocker instruments". I was mainly doing this so they would be proud, so I'm not the only one in the family who doesn't do something musical.

"Rei, how 'bout this?" Riker said while holding up a pastel pink acoustic guitar with lace trimming. I shook my head. "Rei, over here!" called Ryland. He pointed to a hot pink drum set. I shook my head. "Rei, come look at this!" Ross yelled. "Ross, if it's pink..." I started. "Oh nevermind then," he said.

I sighed. As everyone kept looking through the "rocker instruments", I wandered into the classical instruments. Wow, I thought, these look so much more appealing. As I wandered, I looked at the marvelous instruments. They were so intriguing, I wondered which one I should pick.

As I was deciding between a flute and harp, something caught my eye. I walked over to it. It's beautiful, I thought. I ran my hand over it.

"Rei, where'd you go?" I heard. I ignored it. I picked up the instrument. I imagined practicing everyday and making beautiful music. I imagined playing in an orchestra and presenting my music in front of millions of people.

"Rei, you can't just run off like that," Daddy said. Then he saw how I looked at the instrument in my hands: with adoration and awe. "I think we've found her instrument," Mama said. I looked to my siblings and saw looks of worry and disbelief.

"A violin?!"