Chapter 8, Part 3

After we pulled up at the house, we went inside and Riker slammed the door shut and ran to his room, slamming that door, too. "Rei, we were so worried and scared! Never do that again!" Mama exclaimed while hugging me, relief in her voice. "Yeah, please never do that again," Daddy said while rubbing my back while I hugged Mama. Before I could talk to my siblings and Ratliff, they went their own separate ways. I wanted to explain to them why I cut, why I ran away.

Dinner was probably the most worst night in Lynch family history. Thank God Ratliff wasn't at dinner to see this. We all sat down. I usually sat in between Riker and Ryland, but today Riker sat at the other side of the table, as if he wanted to avoid me. Rydel took Riker's spot, but she barely looked at me, only sending a quick glance my way. Ryland sat at his regular place, not acknowledging me. Rocky and Ross avoided eye contact with me. Dinner was completely silent.

"Riker, could you pass the coleslaw?" I asked. Riker didn't seem to notice me. "Riker?" Nothing. "Riker, come on." Nada. "Riker, please," I begged and not just for the coleslaw, but because I hate seeing Riker mad. He finally looked at me, his face saying "what the heck do you want?". (If you get the reference, I'll love you forever.) I finally had enough. I stood up from my seat and slammed my spoon on my plate. That certainly got everyone's attention, I saw Ryland jump a little. "What are your problems?" I demanded. "What are our problems? How about you? What did we do to make you harm yourself?" Riker retaliated, now standing. "It was never about you guys! You didn't do anything wrong!" I yelled. "Then what is this about? Huh? Tell us," Riker demanded. "This was about me. This was about how I could never live up to you guys. This was about how I always think you're better than me. This was about how I want to be as good as you guys. This was- No. This is about how my life is hard because I'm always in your shadow," I cried. Everyone was left speechless. I ran out of the dining room and into my room with tears in my eyes. I slammed the door and slid down it. On the ground, I was sobbing into my knees. I was there for what felt like hours, crying my heart out. I'm weak, was my last thought before falling asleep.