Chapter 10

Before we start I'd just like to remind you that the legal drinking age in Oklahoma, 1965 was 18, and if we're going off their ages in the book
(Darry - 20
Two-Bit - 18 and a half
Dally - 17
Steve - 17
Johnny - 16
Soda - 16
Ponyboy - 14)
And Ana and Leesha are 21, only the two of them, Two-Bit and Darry are legal.

"I want to go to a club tonight," Dally says, once Leesha and I come out of my room, now calm. Now that the whole gang is here and awake, we're trying to figure out what to do tonight.

"Dal, you're underage," I remind him. He shrugs.

"No," Leesha says, "No, let's go to a club." I laugh.

"Hey Leesha? I have an idea... We can go to a club. We're not underage," I explain to my girlfriend.

"I know that, but we should take everyone. I mean, can you imagine Darry drunk?" She exclaims. I raise an eyebrow.

"I've seen Darry drunk. It's nothing special. And I have 14 year old and 16 year old brothers. They couldn't go," I tell her. She shrugs.

I'm not sure why she wants to see my brother get drunk. He has a beer every now and then, but the only time he's ever really gotten drunk was when he was 16 and I was 17.

We got fake ID's, and ended up going to a night club in downtown Tulsa, just to see what it was like. His girlfriend didn't want to go, so that just left us.

It was awful. We were embarrassing, and the bartender could probably tell we were just stupid teenagers. I had one beer, but I didn't like it. It made me nauseous and my vision fogged, and everything was echoey and louder than it should have been. Darry didn't stop drinking until I decided it was time to go, and man was he drunk.

We got in the house that night and 1:30 in the morning to find our parents waiting up for us, although they expected us to be late, since it wasn't a school night. I told my brother to play it cool so they wouldn't know what was happening, but instead, he threw up all over the floor. Ended up being sick until Monday.

Our parents took the ID's and cut up right in front of us, when they found out. That way we couldn't use them. They grounded us both for a week, although they weren't too upset with us. They just wanted to make sure we wouldn't do it again. Which was fine with me, and I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since.

"C'mon, let's just do it!" Leesha whines at me. I sigh.

"I hate to say no to you, but we can go if you want. Just nobody else can." She sighs.

"But Anaaaa," she draws my name out, "That's not fair! We all want something to do. Soda and Pony can go to the football game so he can stalk hot teenage cheerleaders, and the rest of us'll go out! It'll be so much fun!" She practically begs. I look around the room, hoping for a response.

"I don't know... What do you guys think?" I ask everyone.

"Can't I go to the club with you guys?" Ponyboy asks.

"No!" Darry, Soda and I say at the same time. He sighs.

"C'mon guys, I ain't a baby!" He argues.

"Yeah, Dar. Let the kid have some fun," Two-Bit wages for him. I roll my eyes.

"Ponyboy, I've seen what one beer does to ya, thanks to Two-Bit over here. I ain't gonna bring you to a place that's gonna make you sick and get you thrown in a boys' home," Darry says, more calm than I expected.

"What about me, Dar? Can I go?" Soda asks, excitedly. Soda's underage, but he's probably drank before too. I'd be more inclined to say yes to him than Pony, but this kid could get drunk without even a drop of alcohol. He just loves living that much.

"Let 'im go, Dar. I'm goin' too," Steve says.

"Fine, Soda, you can go, as long as someone's home to stay with Ponyboy," Darry says. I was about to say I would do it when Johnny opens his mouth for the first time during the conversation.

"I'll do it. I don't drink anyways," he graciously volunteers, although Dally doesn't look too happy.

"C'mon, Johnnycake, you could hang with me. Who says you gotta drink to have fun?" Dally asks.

"Well, I do, for one. And actually, you do too, all the time, really, Dal," Two-Bit answers.

"Shut it," Dally says. Leesha laughs.

"So what? You wanna come, Johnnycake, or are you hangin' with Ponyboy tonight?" Leesha asks.

"Can't I just come with?" Ponyboy practically yells.

"No," is yelled from the other three Curtis siblings. He glares at us, but knows that he can't go. He'll get sent to a boys home as soon as he gets caught, and we can't let that happen.

"I don't drink, Pony. I won't be missin' much if you want me to tag along," I volunteer, but secretly hope he'll find other plans so I can send time with Leesha. But she saves me before he can even respond.

"Uh-uh, Annalise. You're staying with me," she says.  "And so are you, Johnnycake. I roll my eyes.

"Leesh, it sounds fine in theory, but it's a really bad idea. My brothers and Johnny can't afford to get arrested. Let's just find something else to do," I suggest. Suddenly the phone rings. Ponyboy makes a grab for it.

"Hello?" He says. I can't hear the other end of the conversation the he spends two or three minutes listening to before saying, "You will? That's great! I'll be right there. See you then. Bye!" We all look at him quizzically.

"Mark is gonna help me score Cherry tonight. You guys have fun," he says, running out before anyone can even stop him.

"Be back by ten! Bed at eleven!" Darry yells at him, knowing full well that we won't be back by then. Ponyboy doesn't respond, and we all burst out laughing.

"Ah, first loves," Two-Bit says in a dreamlike voice. Leesha gives me a look and my heart flutters.

"Tonight's gonna be fun," she says.

A/N: So I guess you could say this is a boring filler, but some things are going to happen soon...