Inevitable Confessions

Start from the beginning

"To America," I say, and for some stupid reason my voice is rough. "When this is over, and one day it will be, you'll get to go home. You'll go, and this will seem like a bad dream. But you can take something British with you, something good, and you can remember that it wasn't all bad. Hopefully, anyway." I chuckle, and shift again, and I do my best to smile to lighten the atmosphere.

Frank shakes his head, scoffs a little, but doesn't tell me what he's thinking. He slips the silver chain over his head, and the coin settles on his chest, right over his heart. He cuts me a glance, licks his lips. Tilts his head back to the ceiling, scoffs again, and pink floods into his cheeks.

It looks like he's struggling with something important. Panic sets my heart racing, and I decide it's time to leave. I start to rise, aching to flee.

"Honestly, I don't think this is enough."

The words are so strange that I slump back onto the sofa.

"What?" I blink, surprised.

He's holding onto the necklace, fist wrapped around it. The other hand is braced in his hair. His face has drained of all colour. He's looking at the ceiling and not at me.

"To take back to America." He croaks, and he looks like he's panicking and he's drowning and he's mortified. "This isn't going to be enough."

I... Can't say I'm not a little offended. "What else would you want?" If it's something I can give him, I'll find it.

He looks at me, finally. His eyes are full of panic. "I want you to come with me."

"Pardon?" It's barely a whisper. A shocked rush of breath.

He braces himself. Screws up his courage. Ploughs on. "Come with me. After all of this, whenever we can. I'd want you to come home with me."

I'm confused at the intensity in his face. "That's... A really nice offer. Of course I'd like to visit, to see your home-"

He's already shaking his head, waving my words away. "Not as a vacation, Nevaeh. Permanently."

"Why... Would I leave England?" I breathe.

He wrenches to his feet, paces away from me and back. His eyes are wild. "Because I'm asking you to. Because... I couldn't bear to be away from you. Not for a lifetime. Not for any length of time. The idea makes my insides feel like they're on fire. Like my heart is going to fucking give out. I don't ever want to be somewhere that you aren't."

I can't breathe. I can't think. I can't do anything but sit there and look at him.

Pure strength of will frees my tongue. "Why would you want that?"

Don't say it, my brain begs him. Please, please don't say it.

Say it, my heart sings. Say what I already know.

He's in front of me, on his knees, hands resting on my thighs. His chest is heaving. His face is pure white with fear. His lips and hands and legs are trembling.

"Because I love you."

He says it like it's a simple fact of the universe. He says it like he's saying there is a moon in the sky and earth under our feet. Like I am everything to him. There is a plea in those golden eyes of his, an ache that sets my heart racing and my stomach curling. He is mine, those golden eyes tell me. He is mine if I want him, and mine even if I don't.

I won't insult him by playing dumb. You'd have to be blind and deaf and stupid to mistake his intentions.

"What do you want me to say?" I whisper, and there are tears in my eyes.