8 // Platinum

MERRY CHRISTMAS HAPPY NEW YEAR AND ALL THAT SHIT.
This photo above looks like Zoe, but she has shorter hair in my mind, but imagine her however you like :)

[completely and utterly unedited. there will be mistakes, please forgive my laziness, it's 1am here.]

[A N N E T T E]

Everything sat across the floor, sprawled out in a mess of colour. I had a white frame tinged with scratches, some ribbons in rainbows, photos and newspaper clippings, festival tickets and VIP passes. Photo booth pictures, wristbands and the gleaming golden trophy. The old screw drill sat upright on the floor as I tried to set out what I was planning; it was harder than it seemed.

Rain pattered on the floor beyond the brick walls, the sky grey in colour. The lights glowed in orange, giving this studio a feeling of warmth as the heaters buzzed softly behind me. As I stared up from the floor at the bare brick wall in front of me, I tried to imagine what I wanted. I had a picture painted in my mind, now all I had to do was create it.

"How hard can this be?" I asked myself as I squatted on the hard wood floors in front of the boxed floating shelf I'd bought from ikea, "-It's just a shelf, easy. I've done this a million times before."

Just not without a little help from Tommy.

I grabbed my Stanley knife, sliding into the cardboard and slicing the box open, yanking out the glossy floating shelf and 2 curly black brackets as well as a little packet of screws.

"Mark wall, secure brackets, place shelf, screw shelf. That's straight forward." I muttered to myself as I stood up with the shelf in my hand. I grabbed the half blunt pencil from the floor and using one hand on the shelf I carefully marked where I wanted it to be.

As I used the buzzing drive to screw in the brackets it reminded me of all the times Tom and I did things like this in our little flat and in the studio. I remember one night we had a deadline to get the floors sanded and oiled before the brand new windows were installed the next day and we stayed up all night to get it done. We wore our painting clothes (yes, we have clothes specifically for painting) and danced to music while staining floors and sanding walls. We were barefoot and tipsy, but it was super fun getting our work done while being a bit silly. We fell asleep in each other's arms by daybreak and slept 'till noon, only to be woken by the sound of the glass installers arriving earlier than expected. I almost died of embarrassment, as did Tom, when they found us messy haired and slightly hung-over from the night before, especially when Tom hadn't noticed the lipstick stain on his neck.

I grinned to myself, sliding the shelf onto the brackets and securing it with the last of the screws. I tried to shake it, it barely moving, and stepped back and smiled. It looked good. I scrambled through Tom's toolbox and found a level ruler and checked if it was straight and even. After that, I stared down at the mess on the floor. Time to start making this picture wall.

Chaos of Mayhem's platinum record was due for delivery in a couple hours. Generally you can't pin-point when deliveries will occur, but because this is a "big deal" the Chaos Crew made sure I knew exactly when it will arrive and if it turns up broken, lets face it, Tony will be on a firing rampage. Anyway, i'd been planing on making a display wall for the studio to show off all the awards, photos, passes, ect. ect. that the band have received. All I had to do now was get this done.

I spent the next half an hour battling with the fold screws on the back of the picture frames trying to display the festival shots. I chatted on the phone to Ricky for a while as I tried to get everything symmetrical and actually looking kinda okay. I found a ball of headphones that was more tangled that a hippies hair in the bottom of the memories box as well- who know's why I put it in there.