//Prologue\\

[FOUR YEARS AFTER YMR]

| A N N E T T E |

I woke up slowly and reluctantly, my phone buzzing a familiar song in my ears as an alarm. I ached as I rolled over, smacking the off button and opening my eyes fully, seeing the dark, shady room around me. I stared in front of me at the mirror door on my wardrobe that sat across from the end of the bed. My hair was messy and knotted and my eyes, the dark circles beneath them screamed how exhausted I was.

I was sick of this. Sick of being alone. I looked beside me, the spot was empty. It had been for a few months now. I couldn't remember the last time someone slept beside me.

I forced myself to climb out of bed, away from the comfort of my warm bed sheets and trudge out into the hall. I walked into the kitchen with my slightly oversized pyjama pants dragging against the floor. The sun was bright, the clouds of yesterday were gone. It was going to be a good day today, I had a feeling.

I made myself a hot cup of tea in just a few minutes and then walked into the spare room where my desk and computer was set up. Homework Papers and lesson forms scattered the surfaces- I really had to clean up some time.

I clicked onto skype, realizing I already had 2 missed calls. I was about to call back when the screen changed, the call icon popping up. I click answer and the screen buffered and loaded, the familiar face appearing like it always did.

"Morning Baby," said Tom through the screen, his happy face appearing in front of me, making me smile.

"Mornin'" I sipped on my tea, "How's Chicago been treating you?"

"Chicago's been Awesome, except for the weather getting a bit less desirable," he replied, munching on what looked like a packet of chips, "How's London been?"

"It's okay." I lied, "The weathers better anyway, I have work today. I really don't want to go, I'm sick of Monica."

"Have fun with that," he teased, "-tell monster-Monica I say hi!"

I groaned- kinda laughing at the same time. This was a normal occasion now, skyping in the morning when it was almost 6pm for him. Then sometimes, positions would swap and he'd skype me in the morning when I was having dinner. It was always like this- it's been 3 months now.

"Don't remind me," I laughed. I felt something brush at my leg and I flinched, looking down and seeing my little puppy looking at me at me with her brown eyes.

"Looks who's here," I said to her, picking her up and sitting her on my lap, "Look, it's daddy!"

"Hello Fur Child," That was Tom's nickname for her, her actual name was Freckle, "How's life in the apartment? Are you keeping Netty safe?"

Freckle jumped in my lap, trying to get to the screen and lick Tom's face, she still didn't understand the concept of Tom not actually being there. Freckle was a 4 and a half month old chihuahua puppy that Tom had bought for me before he left. He promised that little Freckle would look after me and be my little friend around the house so I didn't feel lonely. Freckle had been doing her job, she'd been a great little friend, but of course, Freckle can't talk back to me.

"I'll take that as a yes!" Tom laughed, showing his smile. I stroked Freckles back gently.

I heard some background noise wherever Tom was, and then he turned his head to face someone and listen to whatever they were saying.

"Netty, we have a late meeting tonight, if I don't go now I'm gonna be late and you know how the boys get if I'm the late one," he told me, looking at me with his cobalt blue eyes. "Text me before you go to sleep tonight okay? I should be just waking up,"

"Okay," My hands began to shake as I stroked Freckle, keeping them out of Tom's view. Don't go again. Don't leave, please stay. I miss you: Was what I wanted to say but saying it was pointless. Nothing could change what is now.

"I'll talk later, love you,"

"I love--" and before I could finish, his face disappeared from the screen.

This was how most of our long distance calls ended, him rushing away to some meeting or something. He was so busy that now, he struggled to talk to me and tell me what was going on on the other side of the world. It was stressful trying to do this all on my own when we'd worked together, building a life for ourselves for such a long time. Now I work two jobs and somehow attend University Classes! It's difficult making ends meet while studying, but I'm surviving.

It's been 3 months without him. I'm coping, I will cope, right?

Besides, this is normal isn't it? To feel scared, frightened, confused, sometimes even bloody terrified of what's going on. It's normal to have good days and bad days, right? It's just adjustment, it's just an adjustment to being on my own.

Being on my own?

I never thought I'd say it, actually, I don't think any girl in their right mind would say this.

It really does suck that my boyfriend's a rockstar.

~•~

I'm Not Answering Any Questions You May Have From This Cliffhanger. You'll Have To Wait And See ;)
Updates May Be Slow, I Go Back To School Soon, Meaning I'll Be More Busy Than Usual.

Hope You Enjoyed!
Love You All!

~ Rubie <3