~Last Hope~

Jillian Carter stood above the trashcan looking down at the crinkled newspaper. She slowly reached into the can scooping up the paper and with her delicate fingers as she unraveled what had caught her eye.
《The Canadian Government finally opens up to the public about national and international outbreaks of unknown disease.》After the headline intrigued her to find out more, Jillian unfolds the majority of the paper and continues on. 《"The goverment has been hiding something from us for months," says Frederick Almar, a local doctor at Brantford, Ontario drop in clinic,"Patients of mine have come in saying they have the flu, and yes they do, but after a closer examination it appears to have been far worse. Some of them, I have heard, have died."》
Jillian shoved the article into her coat pocket and ran towards her oldest sister's, Alexa, pastry shop. Could it be true? How the newspaper said that the outbreaks were actually really happening? She thought. Jillian reaches the shop and flings open the door making the little bell ring.
Customers turn there heads to her, but she ignores them while she cuts ahead in the line to speak with her sister. Alexa wears an angry expression as customers begin leaving the store unsatisfied, but Jillian doesn't care. She places the paper on the counter waiting for Alexa to pay attention. Both girls challenge each other with a staring contest.
"What's this?" Alexa points at the paper, a frustrated tone replaces her normal friendly vive.
"It's all true, what dad said," Jillian pauses as her sister's eyes weld with tears,"We're all dying."

~~~
A year has past since the outbreaks of the ancient disease, Ender, was first discovered. Today, the entire globe is in cased with the virus that destroyed other civilizations in the past, but now, the Ender virus is slowly killing every living thing on earth.
Jillian stood amongst the crowd with her sister as the large jumbo tron sparked to life. The Prime Minister of Canada was going to be meeting with the president of the United States and other leaders from around the world to discuss sending a message into deep space in hopes of help from extra errestrials, but everyone knew it might be to late for that even if aliens did exist.
The girls wore their bulky winter coats as a cold crisp wind whipped their ginger hair wildly. Both girls inherited their mother's angelic looks, but Jillian's ice blue eyes and clumsiness were from her father. Alexa and Jillian, now the last Carter family members still alive, watched patiently in the winter air hoping that the future for them was not just death.
"Hello citizens of Canada and the world. Today is the day we send our LAST HOPE message into space for a chance of help. Do not worry about this, don't worry about anything because this is it. We're are not going to just sulk and worry, but we will stand strong together as one!" The Prime Minister exclaims with hope. The crowd slightly cheers, but eruptly calms as realty takes back their thoughts.
Jillian knows the likelihood of dying, and well, a twelve year old shouldn't know such a thing. Her sister pulls her along as the crowd disperses into separate ways to there warm homes. This could be humanity's last winter, or last year even. The suffering was not the disease its self, it was the wondering of when the end would finally come.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for choosing to read my story out of all the other books on Wattpad! It means so much to me! If you liked this prologue then I hope you read on to my other parts in 'Another Way'! :) Dedicated to: SciKick
Some other stories I would LOVE for you guys to check out of mine are:
-'The 3 Keys'
-'Out There' and...
-'We'll Rise Again'