Chapter Seven

Beginne am Anfang

"Ulric, remember what I've told you. They tried to kill you, mercy is not something they deserve." Degore reminded.

"Father, I know what I'm doing." Ulric assured in an undertone.

"Then do it. We have other matters to tend to." The King sighed deeply.

Ulric stepped forward, "Guards," he ordered. "Restrain her." He pointed at Thea. The guards hurried to obey and Ulric walked over to Nikandros and grabbed his shoulder. Ulric forcefully dragged him in front of Thea. Thea's eyes widened and she struggled to keep silent. She jerked away from the guards, but there wasn't much she could do.

Ulric smiled inwardly at her discomfort. He slid a knife out of his sheath. "Now," Ulric said, "let's start this over." He smiled at Thea. "How do you know him?" He asked. Thea searched for her voice, but it would not come. A large lump in her throat seemed to keep her from speaking. She was paralyzed in shock and anger. Ulric tapped the flat part of the blade on Nikandros' leg. "Well?" He prodded. Thea was ready to speak, she wanted to save her friend, but she couldn't. Every time her mouth opened, no words came out. She felt as if the Master was watching and knew she couldn't speak. The young assassin was torn inside.

Ulric raised an eyebrow, and pointed the blade at Nikandros' thigh. Thea stared into Nikandros' eyes, looking for guidance.

Nikandros, who was half conscious, slightly shook his head no. Thea wanted to scream. The situation was awful. She knew in her heart that she shouldn't say anything, but watching Nikandros about to be hurt was making it very difficult.

Ulric frowned, "Not going to say anything?" He questioned. Thea licked her dry and cracked lips. She tried once more to get away from the guards, but it was still futile. Ulric raised the knife, holding it there, seeing if Thea would speak up for her friend. Thea closed her eyes in response and tried to look away. She realized that she couldn't bear to watch it, even if it had to happen.

Ulric plunged the knife into Nikandros' leg. Nikandros cried out in pain, but cut the cry off half way. He gritted his teeth. Ulric looked at Thea, "Will you not speak up for your friend?" He asked softly. Thea didn't look, she had flinched when the cry resounded around the room. She felt like she was betraying him.

Ulric frowned. "Will you say nothing?" He asked, pretending to let anger seep into his voice, "Nothing for you friend?" He sounded sincere, like he was concerned for Nikandros.

Nikandros closed his eyes. Pain filled his mind. Slowly he fought to keep it back. "Thea," he started, "I'm alright. Don't say anything." He assured her in a comforting voice.

Thea nodded softly, but kept her eyes closed. Now, salty tears had begun to form around her eyes. She tried to hold it together.

Suddenly, Ulric felt pity for the two. "Take them back to their cells." He ordered the guards.

King Degore held up his hand, halting the guards. He looked at his son, "Ulric? What are you doing? They were about to cave. Especially that weak female." At that, Thea pulled again at the arms holding her and glared towards the King. He just chuckled.

Ulric turned to his father, "They've had enough for one day. Tomorrow we'll resume."

"No. If you stop when they are almost ready, then you lose the progress." King Degore patiently explained, "Continue."

Ulric swallowed and turned back to Thea. "Will you say nothing?" He asked sorrowfully. Thea managed to look up at him although she still sagged in the guards' arms. She shook her head slowly. Ulric sighed and brought the knife up again.

King Degore frowned, "If they will not speak, then show them what happens." Ulric sighed deeply. He brought the knife down into Nikandros' other thigh. Nikandros was prepared this time and gritted his teeth. He managed to not cry out. Thea mimicked her companion and also ground her teeth together. She felt herself giving up and knew that she couldn't wait much longer. If she did, Nikandros could very well bleed out. Nikandros felt himself grow faint.

"Will you speak?" Ulric asked Thea.

"No!" Thea yelled. She scowled at the prince.

Ulric raised his eyebrows. He looked down at Nikandros. "How do you know her?" He asked.

Nikandros closed his eyes. He heard someone saying something, but he couldn't make out the words. He shook his head, trying to clear it. Nikandros felt weird. He felt out of it.

"Finish it, Ulric." King Degore ordered.

"Father..." Ulric began to object.

"You heard me..." Degore began to get annoyed with his son.

Ulric furrowed his brows, "We can resume this tomorrow." He said firmly and walked out of the room.

King Degore stood up abruptly, "Ulric, come back here." He called in a regal and commanding tone. Everyone flinched slightly at the sound of his voice. Ulric ignored his father and kept walking out of the room.

Hey, my wonderful readers! I hope you are enjoying the story so far!:)  If so, then please vote, comment, or follow:) thanks! <3

Writers:
Thea -- Ithildae
Nikandros -- Evara
Ulric -- Evara
King Degore -- Ithildae
Guards -- Ithildae and Evara

Love,
Ithildae, Aris, and Evara (BananaBam03 )