Undercover (Steve Rogers x reader)

Start from the beginning

"Good evening, everyone," they began, looking around the room and pausing for a moment on you. "We have two new members joining us today, so please make them feel welcome." The man pointed towards you and gave you a smile that felt contrived and forced, making you uneasy. "Please, introduce yourselves, if you would be so kind."

Steve's grip on your hand tightened, so much so that you felt a sting as the blood began to drain from your fingers. He stood first then pulled you up to meet him, releasing your hand to wrap his arm around you and bring you into him. "Hello, I'm Sam, and this is my wife, Maria." Tony thought it would be funny to use team names, but also to be sure you wouldn't forget them.

"Have we met before?" the man's partner asked, eyeing the two of you suspiciously. "You look really familiar to me."

"I don't think so," you replied with a smile, glancing up to Steve. "We only just moved here about a week ago, and this is the first time that we've been able to leave the house." You gently rubbed your hand down the front of your falsely rounded belly and sighed, "there's still so much to do and we're almost out of time to do it."

"Well, nonetheless, we are glad to have you join us. I'm Robert and this is my wife, Liz." The pair took their seats and you followed suit, sitting back in your chairs with Steve's hand returning to yours. The man was still looking at you, holding your gaze though he was addressing the group. "Let's begin, shall we? Alright, everyone, take a deep breath and calm your mind."

~~~

With the first meeting done, Steve helped you into the car and hurried around to the driver's seat, slamming the door and quickly starting the vehicle to speed away.

"Steve, seriously. Calm down. Does undercover make you that nervous?"

He drove without saying anything until you were nearly back to the house and about to enter the garage. "It's not being undercover, even though it's not really my strength, I admit. I just have a really bad feeling about this, (Y/N). I don't feel ready to protect you...us, here."

"I can handle myself."

"No, I know that," he smirked, "believe me, I've seen it." He slowly pulled the car into the drive and waited as the garage door opened. He didn't drive in right away, pausing to be sure there were no surprises awaiting you inside. "What I mean is, I can't protect us from what they do to people. They brainwash and manipulate, and I don't know how to fight that."

You turned in your seat to face him and put your hand over his, still tightly gripping the steering wheel. "Okay, how about this? We've had our first meeting, we still know who we are, and we're home safe. Let's grab dinner and try to get some sleep. We have all day tomorrow to get a plan set, alright?"

"Yeah, you're right. You're right," he sighed, smiling slightly, but then grinning more as he looked at you.

"What?"

"Nice touch, by the way, that whole rubbing the belly thing. Very convincing."

"Thanks,' you said with a nod, looking down at the contraption you were still wearing, "I'm not the mommy type, so this is probably the only time I'll ever look down and see this. But don't get me wrong, I'm more than ready to rip this off, so get a move on, Rogers."

~~~

After the movie was done and the dinner dishes were cleared, you were eager to finally get some sleep after the long day of moving into the house and coming face-to-face with your targets. The shower was a little smaller than the one you were accustomed to at the tower, but it still provided a nice hot respite for your tired body to relax in, and you took your time allowing the water to soothe you, nearly falling asleep standing up. You finally convinced yourself to exit, quickly wrapping a towel over your hair and another around your body so you could quickly brush your teeth before drying off.