Chapter 18- Knowledge

DISCLAIMER: I do not own any part of Twilight or its characters, they are all owned by Stephanie Meyer.

Chapter 18- Knowledge

EPOV

I reached Port Angeles only minutes after Bella, Jess and Angela due to my rather fast driving skills. I couldn't get out of the car as the sun was still a few hours from setting, so I was stuck here. I settled and listened to Jess and Angela's thoughts. They had been relatively easy to find as there was only one store in town that sold dresses suitable for a spring dance.

I was a gentleman and pulled out of their minds every time they went into the change rooms. Most of their talk was uninteresting observations about the dresses Jess and Angela tried on, and I found it incredibly boring to listen to. I knew that Bella was going to look much better than any of the other girls at the dance- she always did.

I was looking forward to tomorrow when I would finally be able to be with Bella again and actually talk to her. I would be sharing lunch and biology with Bella again, although I probably couldn't steal her away from my family again and keep her to myself. Alice had complained loudly after we sat away from them last week and had threatened my piano if I tried it again. Besides, I reasoned, as much as I wanted her all to myself- my family loved her, and she seems to love them too.

I continued to tune into the conversation of the three girls in the dress shop. One conversation in particular caught my interest. Jess had asked Bella about her previous boyfriends, and Bella had told them that she'd never had one before. I found that astounding- it couldn't be for lack of interest in her, Bella was quintessential. "I've never found anyone I wanted to date before," she explained.

"What about Edward?" Angela suggested knowingly.

Bella blushed, looking adorable, "Maybe," she answered, "If he ever asks me out." I was intrigued. Did that mean that she would go out with me if I asked? My dead heart felt like it was beating at the thought.

"Well if he doesn't, at least Tyler is taking you to prom." Jessica mentioned.

I growled lightly, nobody was getting their hands on my Bella. I was definitely going to ask her to prom soon. I was pleased with Bella's reaction though. Her eyes opened wide with surprise and she got a look of disgust on her face. "Tyler?" she asked incredulously. At their nod she continued, "I would never go with Tyler, I'd rather go alone than with him." I was insanely pleased by this, but was shocked by her next words. "Besides," she continued, "I'll be going to the prom with Edward." She stated it with complete confidence, and I began to wonder if she would always throw me for loops like this. Yet again I found myself wishing I could read her mind. What could make her so sure that I would ask her to prom? Of course I intended to, but I didn't know how she could know that.

I pulled out of their thoughts after that as Angela was trying on another dress and Jess was wondering what kind of lingerie to but for the night of the dance. Apparently she had great plans for Mike. I was disgusted by the turn of her thoughts. Those two were made for each other. Bella seemed content to read, so I decided to give them a little privacy as I pondered Bella. She was incredibly confusing to me: the way her mind worked was a mystery that I desperately wanted to solve- yet somehow I doubted that I'd ever be able to, even If I could read her mind.

After puzzling for some time I searched again for the thoughts of Jessica and Angela. I found them heading towards an Italian restaurant- La Bella Italia. I soon realised however that Bella wasn't with them, and hadn't been for some time. I got worried. From Jess and Angela's thoughts I ascertained that Bella had gone off on her own in search of a bookstore. I groaned, hoping that she wouldn't run into any trouble on her own.