Chapter 4- Back to America

BPOV (Bella is now 8)

Not long after my eighth birthday, I found out that the author mum worked for had retired, and Renee, who had always been rather flighty, decided that it was time for us to move back to America.

I was distraught for days when I found out I was leaving, and all of the vampires were depressed to find out that their favourite little human was leaving Volterra. Felix and Demetri had especially grown attached after spending four years as my guards, and even volunteered to go with me until they found out that Renee wanted to move to sunny Phoenix, Arizona.

Seeing how upset we all were, Aro managed to charm my mother into a different deal. In the end, the new arrangement was that I would spend six months with mum in phoenix every year, then "board at school" in Volterra for the other six months of the year so that I could maintain my advanced education course.

Once I heard the new plan I was relatively excited, although a bit scared. I'd never been to a real school before, and I was worried about having to try and fit in with so many other people. The only real friends I currently had were vampires.

Heidi and Didyme tried to reassure me, they were sure that the other children would love me, and they thought that it would be good for me to experience some normal human activities, such as school.

Bearing these assurances in mind, I packed the stuff I was taking to Phoenix, and had Felix and Demetri take everything I was leaving in Volterra to the castle.

I was to be given my own tower, with an extremely large living area including an open lounge, kitchen and music room on the first floor. My large bedroom, with an ensuite and an enormous wardrobe (Heidi insisted so that she had somewhere to put all the stuff she bought me) was at the top of the tower, with floor to ceiling windows giving me an uninhibited and picturesque view of Italy.

Sulpicia, Didyme, Heidi and Jane had helped me pick out a white, silver and blue colour theme for my tower, and promised to decorate and furnish it while I was away.

With a saddened heart, I bid my vampire family goodbye, hugging each of them in turn and hopped in the car with my mother for the long drive to the airport. As we drove I fingered their parting gift to me. It was a ¾ inch wide, 24ct white gold cuff bracelet engraved with a pattern of ten freesias linked with lavender sprigs. At the centre of each freesia a clear ½ ct diamond was embedded.

The freesias and lavender represented me, and was because to them my scent smelt like a combination of both flowers. The twelve diamonds represented each member of my vampire family, for their durability, and because, like diamonds, they sparkled in the sun. It was my favourite gift from them because of its sentimental value. I smiled as I looked down at it, now secure safely to my wrist. I had no intentions of ever taking it off.

The flight to Phoenix was uneventful, and I slept most of the way. When we finally collected our luggage, left the airport and found our way to the house mum had bought, I was surprised to find how much I liked the small yellow house in front of us.

The house was situated within walking distance of the beach and the school mum had enrolled me in. I would be in 3rd grade there, Aro, Marcus and Caius had warned me to act like I didn't know the answers to everything, because I would stand out, and we didn't want anyone asking questions.

Over the next week we quickly unpacked, brought new furniture, and settled in to our new home. I found myself loving the beach, and I regularly dragged mum there so that I could play in the waves. I mentally added learning to swim to my To Do list, absently wondering whether I could convince my vampires to install a pool at the castle.