Chapter One (Leaving people behind)

"On the sleepless roads, the sleepless goes, may angels lead you in. "

~~

"Hey dude, where are you?" A confused man was talking on the phone with his old friend.  They are going to meet up in a bar near here.

"Oh! I knew you would come! Get in! " A woman enthusiastically spoke with a familiar that she hasn't seen in years.

"What do you mean she didn't arrive yet?! " A completely worried father asked his daughter's friend. She still hasn't arrived at the place she said she would be and that was freaking him out.

I could listen to all of the voices in the whole world if I wanted to and if I didn't concentrate, all of them would scream in my head with no control and that was driving me crazy.

Knowing about everyone's life was not my duty. My eyes were just on one person, and she was very far away from here.

The wind was hitting my skin and reminding me that it was the only thing of this world that I could feel.

This wind sensibility was only given to us because even though we can't see it, just like our chosen one can't see us, we can feel it, just like our chosen ones can feel us.

It going to a point where some days, I imagined what the sun heat was like, what the freshness of the water was like, what touching a human was like.

What touching my chosen one was like.

That would be a great experience that I would take with me for all of my eternity.

Sometimes I wondered if all of the angels had thoughts like mine. I wondered if some days they wanted to, somehow, touch or materialize themselves for their chosen ones.  Your chosen one.  That creature that you were born for. The human that you would protect until death.

If Camila left this world, I would leave too. If my chosen one died, my mission in Earth would be over. She would never know that I existed, I would leave and would be reborn to protect another chosen one.

I did not want that.

Anyhow, all of these inedits and weird thoughts never stopped me from being here accomplishing my mission.

Being at the top of a building in a calm period of time for me and yet dangerous to the human beings was somehow comforting.

To see what happens in New York at one of the highest skyscrapers was a good sight to my eyes.

I could see where Camila was. I could feel Camila's thoughts in my head.

I was sitting at the edge of the building while my legs were freely swinging and I tried not to look worried.

Camila went to a concert to see one of her favorite bands and she was feeling so good while trying to get closer to the stage. Nothing could hurt her there.

I half-smiled. At least her mind forgot her hard routine for some hours. She felt okay for some time.

"It is not being easy for her these past few days, is it?'' Normani showed up, gliding on the building parapet, looking at the place Camila and her chosen one were.

"Yeah, it's not being easy..." I worriedly frowned. "I can't reach her anymore."

She looked at me, giving me an sympathetic smile.

"It is just a fase,Lauren. We all go through this. My chosen one didn't feel me some time ago either."

"But look at you..." I said. "Your connection is so strong... She simply does everything you suggest!" My voice was powerless.