Sartan's Death

Sadly, Sartan was killed off in the Task Six Voting. I decided to write a snippet of his death scene. Enjoy!

All Sartan knew once he had drank the bottle, was that something was wrong. The liquid felt hot as it slid down his throat, burning and searing. His throat felt as if it had been scraped by sandpaper. Saliva collected at the back of his mouth, but part of it tasted metallic. Blood, he thought. 

The burning continued, pulsing down his throat until it settled in his stomach. It settled there, stirring and swirling. Pain flared, until the burning became fire. He grabbed his stomach and groaned. He felt something course and hard against his cheek and he guessed he had fallen to the ground. 

Where he was, was the least of his concerns. 

Agony swelled in his abdomen, pumping and throbbing. It became unbearable, and finally a scream escaped. Liquid filled his lungs, and he gasped, unable to gulp any air into his mouth. Agony continued dancing inside of him, until he was unable to move his limbs, unable to anything but lie there and writhe. Mia... She... gave me the... wrong... one... Sartan thought desperately. 

I'm dying, he thought. Fear clawed at him, and his heart raced. Despite everything, he didn't want to die. He was supposed to fight, to kill and win the Games. But you don't want to kill anymore... so how could you have possibly won the Games?

Sadness settled over him like a dark cloud. It weighed heavily on his shoulders. Agony continued slamming against his stomach, thudding against his chest, wrapping around his heart and squeezing. It shot up his arms, and zapped down his legs, freezing him to the core. 

He shivered, and became cold...so cold. His world became as it always had been... dark and cold. His breathing slowed, until it became wet rasps that gurgled inside his throat. Blood bubbled out of his mouth, mixing with saliva. Acid and bile darted up from his stomach and he vomited on the ground. Pain... Pain, cold and darkness became everything. 

His chest heaved. 

Slowly, his mouth opened and a liquidity, wheeze escaped. 

Utter terror clenched at him, once he realized what was happening. 

Another breath. 

His heartbeat slowed.. one... two...three...

He exhaled. 

...Four... Until it stopped altogether.

Fog settled over his mind, clouding it, preventing thought.

Death came for him.

There was a white flash, and then nothing.