Chapter 12

After a quick explanation, Nixie gave Rikki Zac's phone number, and Rikki and Zac had a conversation on the phone.

Rikki told him about her, Cleo, Emma and Bella, and Zac told Rikki about him, Sirena, Nixie, Lyla, Mimmi, Ondina and Evie.

Zac and Rikki arranged for everyone to meet at the café the following day, so they could talk and ask questions. Zac didn't mention anything about Erik or the moon rings.

However, the next day it rained heavily, and Zac and his mermaids friends had to stay at Mako Island all day, and Cleo, Rikki, Emma and Bella stayed indoor on land. Mimmi suggested that Zac called Rikki and suggested she and her friends swim to Mako. But Zac had left his phone in his mother's car.

Then the following day Cleo had to work a double shift, and Emma had to go to an important soccer game with her younger brother, so they couldn't meet up that day either.

However, the day after that no one was busy, so all her mermaids and Zac were sat in the closed café, each with a different flavoured juice in front of them.

"So you guys were in the Moon Pool on Mako Island on a full moon?" Ondina asked, pointing at Cleo, Emma Rikki and Bella.

"Yep," Emma nodded.

"Well, not me," Bella said quickly. "I transformed into a mermaid when I was nine years old in Ireland. Me and my parents traveled a lot, because my dad is in hotel management."

Ondina and her friends had no idea what this meant, so they just nodded.

"And let me get this straight," Rikki said, leaning across the table. "You guys are actual real mermaids?"

"I'm not," Evie said. "I am a human, but I was transformed into a mermaid when in the Moon Pool on the full moon."

Zac raised his hand slightly. "I'm also not a mermaid."

Rikki rolled her eyes. "And you're a real merman?" She asked.

Zac grinned and nodded. "Yes."

"When did you guys change into mermaids?" Lyla asked. "We've been part of the Mako Pod our whole lives, and we never saw you, once. Did you go to the Moon Pool often?"

"Nearly everyday," Cleo replied. "We transformed quite a while ago."

"There was that one time when all the mermaids traveled to the Northern Pod," Sirena said. "I can't remember why, though."

"It was the anniversary of the death of Nerissa," Nixie pointed at Sirena.

Mimmi slumped back in her seat and looked down.

Nixie's eyes widened when she realised what she had just said. "Sorry Mimmi!"

"What?" Emma asked.

"Nerissa was Mimmi's and Zac's mother, she was pretty much the greatest mermaid that ever lived."

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Cleo said.

"So you two are brother and sister?" Rikki asked Zac and Mimmi.

"Yeah, we only found out a few months ago," Zac said. "I lived on land my whole life."

Rikki leaned back in her chair. "Unbelievable," she whispered.

"Do you guys have...magic powers?" Mimmi asked Cleo, Emma, Rikki and Bella.

"Yes, we do," Cleo smiled.

"Do you guys?" Emma asked Sirena.

"We can do all sorts," Sirena smiled. "We can turn invisible-"