[sixty three]

Viktor was given very specific instructions by Harry and Ron—find Hermione and get her to eat. If they were being real, Viktor didn't need to do much finding. They all knew where Hermione has been cooped up in these days, to the point of skipping classes— the library.

He found her at the very back of the Restricted section, nose deep into a parchment she was scribbling on with her Eagle quill and ink-stained hands.

They hadn't seen her since last night.

"Hey, you." Viktor grinned, sitting across her like he wasn't worried about how she was doing at all. Ever since the little mishap on the Quidditch pitch, she'd retreated further into her bubble in the library, determined to find a way to counter the spell and strategize for the battle at the same time.

They'd heard from McGonagall how Hermione had ran up to her office in the dead of the night, with several rolls of parchments filled with plans for the attack. The school population's safety had been ensured since then.

"Hey." She greeted, not looking up from what she was copying on the scroll. Viktor sighed and gently grabbed her wrist to stop her from writing "I came here to check on you." He said.

Out of all of them, he was the only one who didn't have N.E.W.T. level classes to attend. As much as the others wanted to drag Hermione to the kitchens for a meal themselves, they were falling behind on their classes. The only reason Hermione isn't is because, somehow, she'd managed to stay two weeks ahead on their lessons.

"You've seen me." Hermione looked up "I'm fine, Viktor."

"You are not fine." Viktor sighed "You're on overdrive, Hermione. You're severely overworked. One more day of this and you'll be stuck in the hospital wing for a week."

"I'm fine." Hermione insisted, returning to her scribbling. Viktor peeked at what she was writing, a little surprised "Those...are defensive and offensive spells."

Hermione sighed, dropping her quill. She leaned back, closing her eyes in a mixture of frustration and exhaustion, rubbing them with the back of her hands "The students need to be trained. I've had this plan for a while to have the DA reassemble for extra DADA lessons once again." She said quietly "We need a way to defend ourselves. Nobody must be left helpless."

"And the curse? On Malfoy?"

"I gave up on that yesterday."

Her voice was small, a little guilty but mostly hurt. She opened her eyes to reveal soft dark caramel pools filled with pain and defeat. "I tried." She whispered "New magic is very hard to deal with. Theo's right. The only one that can make a counter-curse is his father, but with Rodolphus breathing down their necks... I can't possibly be selfish enough to risk other people's lives for my own."

Viktor pursed his lips in pity, noting how she just called Draco her 'life'. If it were Astoria in Draco's position, Viktor would be just as much of a mess as Hermione is right now. He was sure of it.

He scanned Hermione's face, not saying anything. He noted the frown lines that had begun to form in the last two weeks of agony, as well as the sunken eyes and cheekbones from the lack of meals and sleep she'd gotten. It pained him to see her like this. "How much have you planned for the attack?" He asked quietly

"I've rearranged the schedule of the final examinations with McGonagall, so that everyone will have gone through them before the estimated D-day. All students underaged will be sent home as soon as they finish all their requirements." Hermione laced her fingers together to keep them from shaking, a consequence of the war that she thought was gone until it returned after Draco's conversion. "Those of age, as well as those willing to fight will be given the chance to stay. That's what the extra DADA lessons with the DA will be for. I've yet to figure out how to keep this under wraps from...Draco and Goyle, otherwise it'll reach Rodolphus that we're preparing."