[forty eight]

Theodore Nott was the last to the Gryffindor table on Thursday morning. If anyone was taking note, Theo has actually always been the last to the breakfast table for the past week. As he approached, Celine made space for him between her and Blaise. Theo kissed her cheek in greeting.

From where they were seated, they could see Gregory Goyle smirking widely at a very loved-up Millicent Bulstrode. "Nothing's changed." Blaise said thoughtfully, stuffing his mouth with a piece of toast

Harry glanced back, getting a good look at Goyle, who was now being fed some eggs by Millicent "Stop looking." Ron hissed at him

"Nothing's changed." Draco agreed, giving Hermione a pointed look "I told you there was no reason to be suspicious."

"You mean besides the fact that he smirks weird? And now has a limp?" Hermione narrowed her eyes at him, and challengingly looked at every Slytherin on the table, daring them to contradict her.

"That is kind of fishy." Theo agreed "Goyle never really smirked that way."

"Who even takes note of how someone smirks?" Draco made a face

"Look, whether something's changed or not, I say we stay cautious." Ginny huffed stubbornly "As of now, the only people we can truly trust with anything are the people in our room."

"I agree with her." Viktor nodded "A hundred percent."

"You have no problems. You barely talk to anyone outside our circle." Pansy rolled her eyes "Goyle's our friend."

"Look, all we're asking is that you remember the unbreakable vow you made." Harry said pointedly "Unless, of course, you want to die an untimely death. Fine by me."

"Gee, thanks for the concern, Harry." Astoria muttered, but Harry only shook his head in frustration.

If he was being honest, Theo's mind wasn't really on the current topic, or it was, but not exactly. His mind was on the last fire message his father had sent.

Be ready.

Be ready for what? The birds disappearing or Goyle coming back? Be ready for an attack? A betrayal?

After all these months on the run, with zero communication, his father decides to come back with several extremely vague fire messages. The least his dad could do was offer some real help.

Theo looked around, scanning the hall for a certain black bird, but all he saw were the several owls dropping off their packages and messages.

"Never mind this topic. We may not agree on who the traitor is, but we can all agree that we can only truly trust the people in our circle." Celine waved it off "Let's talk about the parties. Several people have already sent their RSVP's."

Pansy grinned "I also managed to get McGonagall to agree to a little shopping trip at Diagon Alley next week to help us get ready for Hermy and Draco's party."

"What? How?" Elena frowned in confusion

"I have my ways, Ivanova." Pansy smirked "Celine's only making Hermione's dress, not every one else's. Of course we need clothes."

"Are you sure it's a good idea to be leaving the castle now?" Theo narrowed his eyes "I'm surprised even McGonagall's alright with the idea."

"Look, we don't even know where the thing is anymore." Pansy shrugged nonchalantly "You guys also mentioned the lack of birds swarming around. I say we're in the clear."

Harry, Ron and Hermione shared looks, knowing full well about the implications of the calm before the storm. It was always in moments of peace like this that darkness is brewing in the sidelines, waiting to attack. Hermione sighed "Alright, but only for half the day. I don't want to leave the castle undefended."