Chapter 25

My mouth fell open, "What?"

"There was a car accident," Frank explained. "She was driving home after she hung out with Annabeth and Piper, and a drunk driver hit her."

The color drained from my face. Hazel had in been in a car accident. Hazel was in the hospital. "Where is she now?" I asked.

"Fairmont General Hospital. She just arrived, I'm with her now," Frank answered. 

"Okay, I'm on my way," I said. I hung up and shoved my phone in my pocket.

"Is everything alright?" Will asked.

"Hazel was in a car accident. She's at the hospital," I answered. 

Will eyes widened in alarm, "What? Which hospital? I'll drive you."

I shook my head, "No, Will, I-"

"No!" Will interrupted. "Hazel's hurt and you need to see her. Which hospital is it?"

"Fairmont General Hospital," I replied. We jumped in the car and Will fired up the engine. He pulled out of the driveway, and sped down the street. 

We arrived at the hospital in under five minutes. We leapt out of the car and sprinted across the parking lot. We burst through the doors and hurried to the front desk. 

"May I help you?" the receptionist asked. 

"Hi, did a Hazel Levesque check in?" I asked. 

The receptionist tapped her chin, "Hmmm... I'll have to check." She directed her attention to a computer and began typing. A few moments later, she smiled and turned to us. "She just checked in, she's in room 304."

"Awesome, thanks!" I called as I dashed down the hall, Will hot on my heels. 

I didn't slow down until I reached room 304. It was at the end of a long, quiet  hallway. The door was closed, but I could hear voices whispering on the other side. I gently pushed open the door and entered the room. I spotted Leo, Frank, Piper, Annabeth, Jason, and Percy gathered around a hospital bed, speaking in hushed voices. 

Annabeth turned around and saw me in the doorway. "Oh, Nico, thank god you're here!" she exclaimed, pulling me into a tight embrace. 

"Yeah, how's Hazel?" I asked. 

"Oh, Nico," she began. "I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry." She barely managed to get the words out of her mouth before she started sobbing. Percy rushed over and wrapped his arms around her. 

"Come see for yourself," Leo said. I gingerly approached the hospital bed in the center of the room and wedged myself between Piper and Frank. 

Hazel laid in the bed, unconscious. Her body was covered with fresh bruises, scars, and cuts. Pieces of glass and shrapnel the size of my hand were lodged in her skin. Her limbs were bent at odd angles and covered by thick bandages. Various tubes filled with strange liquids were attached to her. 

I had no words. I stared at my sister, and I couldn't find anything to say. 

"I-I don't know what to say," Piper said softly, placing her hand on my shoulder. 

I simply shook my head. Tears stung my eyes, threatening to spill over any moment. I felt a lump form in my throat. I desperately tried to swallow it, but my attempts were futile. 

We all stood around the bed in silence, staring hopelessly at Hazel. She always seemed so tough. The way she walked, the way she talked; everything about her made her seem invincible. Yet here she was, laying like a broken doll in a hospital bed. 

"Hello," a voice said softly, breaking the silence. We turned and spotted a nurse poking her head through the door. "The doctor is about to see Mrs. Levesque and has asked for all visitors leave while he works," the nurse informed us. The others nodded and quietly exited the room. I took one last look at Hazel before following them. 

I stepped into the hallway where I spotted Will leaning against a wall, waiting for me. "How is she?" he asked.

I slumped against the wall, "Not good."

"I saw a nurse and the doctor go in. Are they working on her now?" Will inquired. I nodded in reply. He shook his head, "I'm sorry. I know it's annoying to hear those words all the time, but it's all I can say. Seriously, I'm sorry."

"I know, Will," I replied, sighing. "I know." I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my face in his shoulder. I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream. I wanted to run away and never come back. But I couldn't do any of that. All I could do was silently rest in Will's arms as tears streamed down my face.